Dec 15, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The NHLPA’s options in the face of the suit filed against them by the league aren’t many, but they’ll begin taking action on one of them starting tomorrow.
TSN reports the players will begin a five-day voting period on Sunday to decide whether or not to dissolve the union. Once the vote is completed — and it’s believed they’ll have the votes to support a “disclaimer of interest” — they’ll have until January 2 to file it.
Should things reach this point, the players could see their contracts challenged by the league. In the NHL’s complaint against the players, they said if their move to disclaim or decertify was upheld by the NLRB, they could move to void all current contracts.
While this all sounds like doom and gloom stuff right now, moving things into the courts could actually lead to a new deal being worked out sooner than not. That is if both sides aren’t deadly serious about going through the courts to get this whole thing figured out.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)