Dec 15, 2012, 9:13 PM EDT
His main reason is that his wife is expecting to have a baby in the near future, but his comments certainly indicated that he’s also highly frustrated with the process.
“I’m done,” Malhotra said.
“I think you run the whole gamut of emotions throughout these talks … You get frustrated, you get angry, you get bitter, there are obviously highs when you feel like we’re really close to a deal and the lows of having those negotiations break off. You run through everything.”
The well-respected Vancouver Canucks forward estimates that he’s made 10 cross-country trips trying to help get a deal done, going as far as to say that he’s traveled for CBA negotiations more than he would have if he was participating in a normal hockey season.
Malhotra’s take on the way the NHL reacted to the players’ last offer really underscores his frustration.
“As far as we have come with that last proposal and to have them reject it outright and call everything off, I think that pissed a lot of guys off again similar to the first deal they offered,” Malhotra said. “It made us that much more unified and strong.”
They’ll need to prove that without Malhotra in the room going forward, though.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
Malhotra weighs in on the lockout:
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)