Dec 15, 2012, 9:13 PM EDT
His main reason is that his wife is expecting to have a baby in the near future, but his comments certainly indicated that he’s also highly frustrated with the process.
“I’m done,” Malhotra said.
“I think you run the whole gamut of emotions throughout these talks … You get frustrated, you get angry, you get bitter, there are obviously highs when you feel like we’re really close to a deal and the lows of having those negotiations break off. You run through everything.”
The well-respected Vancouver Canucks forward estimates that he’s made 10 cross-country trips trying to help get a deal done, going as far as to say that he’s traveled for CBA negotiations more than he would have if he was participating in a normal hockey season.
Malhotra’s take on the way the NHL reacted to the players’ last offer really underscores his frustration.
“As far as we have come with that last proposal and to have them reject it outright and call everything off, I think that pissed a lot of guys off again similar to the first deal they offered,” Malhotra said. “It made us that much more unified and strong.”
They’ll need to prove that without Malhotra in the room going forward, though.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
Malhotra weighs in on the lockout:
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)