Dec 15, 2012, 9:13 PM EDT
His main reason is that his wife is expecting to have a baby in the near future, but his comments certainly indicated that he’s also highly frustrated with the process.
“I’m done,” Malhotra said.
“I think you run the whole gamut of emotions throughout these talks … You get frustrated, you get angry, you get bitter, there are obviously highs when you feel like we’re really close to a deal and the lows of having those negotiations break off. You run through everything.”
The well-respected Vancouver Canucks forward estimates that he’s made 10 cross-country trips trying to help get a deal done, going as far as to say that he’s traveled for CBA negotiations more than he would have if he was participating in a normal hockey season.
Malhotra’s take on the way the NHL reacted to the players’ last offer really underscores his frustration.
“As far as we have come with that last proposal and to have them reject it outright and call everything off, I think that pissed a lot of guys off again similar to the first deal they offered,” Malhotra said. “It made us that much more unified and strong.”
They’ll need to prove that without Malhotra in the room going forward, though.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
Malhotra weighs in on the lockout:
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)