Dec 15, 2012, 9:13 PM EDT
His main reason is that his wife is expecting to have a baby in the near future, but his comments certainly indicated that he’s also highly frustrated with the process.
“I’m done,” Malhotra said.
“I think you run the whole gamut of emotions throughout these talks … You get frustrated, you get angry, you get bitter, there are obviously highs when you feel like we’re really close to a deal and the lows of having those negotiations break off. You run through everything.”
The well-respected Vancouver Canucks forward estimates that he’s made 10 cross-country trips trying to help get a deal done, going as far as to say that he’s traveled for CBA negotiations more than he would have if he was participating in a normal hockey season.
Malhotra’s take on the way the NHL reacted to the players’ last offer really underscores his frustration.
“As far as we have come with that last proposal and to have them reject it outright and call everything off, I think that pissed a lot of guys off again similar to the first deal they offered,” Malhotra said. “It made us that much more unified and strong.”
They’ll need to prove that without Malhotra in the room going forward, though.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
Malhotra weighs in on the lockout:
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)