Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner has been looking for something to do other than skate with his fellow locked-out NHL players and hang out with his family.
He’s been “extremely bored,” which prompted him to ask Hockey Canada if they needed help during the World Junior selection camp. As it turns out, they did, according to WTOP 103.5.
Alzner and the Calgary Flames’ Mike Cammalleri coached during Team Canada’s annual ‘Red vs. White’ scrimmage. That match helped determine who will represent Canada in the tournament.
“We actually did a lot more than we were expecting,” Alzner said. “(The full-time coaches) went over what they wanted the D-men to do on breakouts, who our guys were and who they wanted them out against. It was just more than what I was expecting. My team had five D, so I was just running the lines, making sure everyone got out there enough and that their shifts weren’t too long.”
Alzner’s team ended up losing, but he felt it “was a really good eye-opening experience for me on the coaching front.”
Maybe coaching is something Alzner will eventually pursue, but he still has a long playing career ahead of him.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)