Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner has been looking for something to do other than skate with his fellow locked-out NHL players and hang out with his family.
He’s been “extremely bored,” which prompted him to ask Hockey Canada if they needed help during the World Junior selection camp. As it turns out, they did, according to WTOP 103.5.
Alzner and the Calgary Flames’ Mike Cammalleri coached during Team Canada’s annual ‘Red vs. White’ scrimmage. That match helped determine who will represent Canada in the tournament.
“We actually did a lot more than we were expecting,” Alzner said. “(The full-time coaches) went over what they wanted the D-men to do on breakouts, who our guys were and who they wanted them out against. It was just more than what I was expecting. My team had five D, so I was just running the lines, making sure everyone got out there enough and that their shifts weren’t too long.”
Alzner’s team ended up losing, but he felt it “was a really good eye-opening experience for me on the coaching front.”
Maybe coaching is something Alzner will eventually pursue, but he still has a long playing career ahead of him.
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 5
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)