Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner has been looking for something to do other than skate with his fellow locked-out NHL players and hang out with his family.
He’s been “extremely bored,” which prompted him to ask Hockey Canada if they needed help during the World Junior selection camp. As it turns out, they did, according to WTOP 103.5.
Alzner and the Calgary Flames’ Mike Cammalleri coached during Team Canada’s annual ‘Red vs. White’ scrimmage. That match helped determine who will represent Canada in the tournament.
“We actually did a lot more than we were expecting,” Alzner said. “(The full-time coaches) went over what they wanted the D-men to do on breakouts, who our guys were and who they wanted them out against. It was just more than what I was expecting. My team had five D, so I was just running the lines, making sure everyone got out there enough and that their shifts weren’t too long.”
Alzner’s team ended up losing, but he felt it “was a really good eye-opening experience for me on the coaching front.”
Maybe coaching is something Alzner will eventually pursue, but he still has a long playing career ahead of him.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)