Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner has been looking for something to do other than skate with his fellow locked-out NHL players and hang out with his family.
He’s been “extremely bored,” which prompted him to ask Hockey Canada if they needed help during the World Junior selection camp. As it turns out, they did, according to WTOP 103.5.
Alzner and the Calgary Flames’ Mike Cammalleri coached during Team Canada’s annual ‘Red vs. White’ scrimmage. That match helped determine who will represent Canada in the tournament.
“We actually did a lot more than we were expecting,” Alzner said. “(The full-time coaches) went over what they wanted the D-men to do on breakouts, who our guys were and who they wanted them out against. It was just more than what I was expecting. My team had five D, so I was just running the lines, making sure everyone got out there enough and that their shifts weren’t too long.”
Alzner’s team ended up losing, but he felt it “was a really good eye-opening experience for me on the coaching front.”
Maybe coaching is something Alzner will eventually pursue, but he still has a long playing career ahead of him.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)