Dec 14, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas recently returned from a 15-game stint with HIFK Helsinki of the Finnish league, where his most memorable experience came off the ice — rather than on it.
Robidas only had five points and a ghastly minus-11 rating with HIFK and admitted his play “wasn’t as good as I would have hoped.”
On the flip side, he really liked eating reindeer.
Here’s more, from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:
Q: Did you enjoy any of the Finnish traditions?
Robidas: They have great food there, so I ate a lot of the local food. I had reindeer, and it was unbelievable. They serve it with cranberry sauce, and it was so tender.
Honestly, every meal I had there was good. Lots of soups, lots of creams, lots of sauces. It was excellent.
“Yeah, you know me…I love the creams.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32