Dec 14, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas recently returned from a 15-game stint with HIFK Helsinki of the Finnish league, where his most memorable experience came off the ice — rather than on it.
Robidas only had five points and a ghastly minus-11 rating with HIFK and admitted his play “wasn’t as good as I would have hoped.”
On the flip side, he really liked eating reindeer.
Here’s more, from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News:
Q: Did you enjoy any of the Finnish traditions?
Robidas: They have great food there, so I ate a lot of the local food. I had reindeer, and it was unbelievable. They serve it with cranberry sauce, and it was so tender.
Honestly, every meal I had there was good. Lots of soups, lots of creams, lots of sauces. It was excellent.
“Yeah, you know me…I love the creams.”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (141)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)