Dec 14, 2012, 9:43 PM EDT
Earlier today, the NHL announced that it had filed Class Action Complaint in Federal Court in New York and a simulteanous Unfair Labor Practice Charge with the National Labor Relations Board.
The NHL had made these moves after the union’s executive board reportedly gave its members the ability to vote on whether to give the board authorization to file a disclaimer of interest.
Now the NHLPA has issued a statement in response to the NHL’s actions:
“The NHLPA has just received a copy of the National Labor Relations Board charge and has not yet been served with the lawsuit. However, based on what we’ve learned so far, the NHL appears to be arguing that Players should be stopped from even considering their right to decide whether or not to be represented by a union. We believe that their position is completely without merit.”
Although this might be the start of a lengthy legal fight, these recent actions might also pressure both sides into agreeing to a new CBA rather than risk putting the league’s future in the hands of the court.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 0
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6