Dec 14, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
Winnipeg Jets prospect Mark Scheifele has been highly regarded for quite some time now, but this year he’s taken his game to a “whole other level,” according to Hall of Famer and OHL Barrie Colts coach Dale Hawerchuk.
“You’re watching a kid become a man in junior hockey as far as his ability on the ice,” Hawerchuk told NHL.com. “He’s a pretty dominating player. It’s not so much his scoring, it’s what he does all over the ice at the pace he does it. He wants to win day in and day out. I don’t know anybody who works harder on and off the ice.”
Scheifele has 21 goals and 48 points in 29 games with the Colts this season, but those statistics don’t tell the full story.
“He’s got the full package,” Hawerchuk said. “He’s a great team guy, great skill, good size. Day in and day out he’s the hardest worker. That’s a pretty good package.”
Scheifele has seven games worth of NHL experience under his belt and he might have already accumulated more ice time with the Winnipeg Jets by now if it wasn’t for the lockout. Instead, he’ll play for Team Canada in the upcoming World Junior Championship.
He’s projected to skate on a line with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jonathan Huberdeau. Nugent-Hopkins has already proved that he can excel in the NHL and all three could develop into stars over the next several years.
After all, Team Canada’s roster during the 2004-05 lockout featured quite a few players that have gone on to have very impressive careers.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)