Dec 14, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
Getting to Switzerland won’t take Gervais very long. Prior to joining Fribourg he was playing with Heilbronner of the German second division, appearing in seven games while recording two assists and 18 penalty miuntes.
The 28-year-old rearguard signed a two-year, $1.65 million deal with the Flyers this summer after spending the 2011-12 season in Tampa Bay. He’s expected to be a significant contributor to Philly’s defense once the season gets underway, especially with the likes of Chris Pronger (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (torn Achilles) and Andreas Lilja (hip surgery) all out of action.
Gervais has been a busy guy during the work stoppage. Prior to heading overseas, he was one of the driving forces behind La Tournee Des Joueurs, a barnstorming circuit of locked-out NHL players that participated in games throughout the province of Quebec.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29