Dec 14, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Getting to Switzerland won’t take Gervais very long. Prior to joining Fribourg he was playing with Heilbronner of the German second division, appearing in seven games while recording two assists and 18 penalty miuntes.
The 28-year-old rearguard signed a two-year, $1.65 million deal with the Flyers this summer after spending the 2011-12 season in Tampa Bay. He’s expected to be a significant contributor to Philly’s defense once the season gets underway, especially with the likes of Chris Pronger (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (torn Achilles) and Andreas Lilja (hip surgery) all out of action.
Gervais has been a busy guy during the work stoppage. Prior to heading overseas, he was one of the driving forces behind La Tournee Des Joueurs, a barnstorming circuit of locked-out NHL players that participated in games throughout the province of Quebec.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)