Dec 14, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Getting to Switzerland won’t take Gervais very long. Prior to joining Fribourg he was playing with Heilbronner of the German second division, appearing in seven games while recording two assists and 18 penalty miuntes.
The 28-year-old rearguard signed a two-year, $1.65 million deal with the Flyers this summer after spending the 2011-12 season in Tampa Bay. He’s expected to be a significant contributor to Philly’s defense once the season gets underway, especially with the likes of Chris Pronger (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (torn Achilles) and Andreas Lilja (hip surgery) all out of action.
Gervais has been a busy guy during the work stoppage. Prior to heading overseas, he was one of the driving forces behind La Tournee Des Joueurs, a barnstorming circuit of locked-out NHL players that participated in games throughout the province of Quebec.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)