Dec 14, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Getting to Switzerland won’t take Gervais very long. Prior to joining Fribourg he was playing with Heilbronner of the German second division, appearing in seven games while recording two assists and 18 penalty miuntes.
The 28-year-old rearguard signed a two-year, $1.65 million deal with the Flyers this summer after spending the 2011-12 season in Tampa Bay. He’s expected to be a significant contributor to Philly’s defense once the season gets underway, especially with the likes of Chris Pronger (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (torn Achilles) and Andreas Lilja (hip surgery) all out of action.
Gervais has been a busy guy during the work stoppage. Prior to heading overseas, he was one of the driving forces behind La Tournee Des Joueurs, a barnstorming circuit of locked-out NHL players that participated in games throughout the province of Quebec.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)