Dec 14, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
Predators forward Colin Wilson thinks Gary Bettman is a good actor. But other than that, he doesn’t have many nice things to say about the NHL commissioner.
Thursday in an interview with the Winnipeg Sun, Wilson accused Bettman of putting on a show for reporters last week when talks between the owners and players broke down.
“When you saw him at his last press conference, that was him showing emotion? And he’s going, ‘I just feel so bad for the fans,’ things like that. No he doesn’t,” Wilson said. “He’s mad that his strategy isn’t working.”
The 23-year-old added: “I still think he came out trying to look mad, sway the media. That’s what they do. Everything they do is strategic. I’m pretty disgusted by it. I really don’t enjoy him. He doesn’t care for the game.”
When contacted by The Tennessean, Wilson refused to back down from his comments.
“[Bettman’s] job is to get the owners the best deal and to have the games being played,” he said, “but at the same time, he’s going to go out and do what’s best for his side, so if he wants to be portrayed as someone who is very caring about the game, he’s going to go out and he’s going to show emotion.
“It’s a strategy. It’s a strategy on our side of things as well. When he’s going out there everything is planned, he knows what he’s going to do. I don’t think he’s going to go out and absolutely lose it on everybody when he’s being paid a lot of money to do his job. So he went out and said what he had to say and everybody came out and said, ‘Bettman really does care.’ So hats off to him. He did what he sought out to do.”
Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
St. Louis couldn’t capitalize on an early lead.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 PM EDT
He didn’t get a point in the first round.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Senators coach Dave Cameron called it “cheap” and a sign of frustration.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin finished the series without a point.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Alexander Steen played a big role in that marker.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
Another 45 saves tonight.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The odds of him playing were initially “50-50.”
Apr 24, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
That tied Game 5 between Pittsburgh and the Rangers at 1-1.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
He won’t return tonight.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
is that the start of a breakout for him?
Apr 24, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
He had a strong season offensively.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
The Canadiens goaltender looks like the heavy favorite.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
His departure in Game 4 was cited as a turning point.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
“Lots of possibilities have been thrown out about an arena for the last decade and none of them have materialized.”
Apr 24, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
After allowing four goals in a Game 5 loss to Nashville.
Apr 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
“In this business, you can’t be afraid to make trades.”
Apr 24, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Much like he did at the end of last year.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Game 6 goes tomorrow in Chicago.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Currently coaching Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)