Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Crosby would have played for Team Canada if he accepted the offer.
Garrioch doesn’t explain why Crosby rejected the opportunity, but one might justify his choice for the same reasons he hasn’t committed overseas yet: insurance worries and the ongoing CBA negotiations.
The 2012 Spengler Cup takes place from Dec. 26-31 in Davos, Switzerland. Along with Canada, the competition features host club Davos, Germany’s Adler Mannheim, Swizterland’s Fribourg-Gotteron, the Czech Republic’s Vitkovice Steel and Russia’s Salavat Yulaev Ufa.
Risking injury in such a small window of games probably isn’t a particularly enticing proposition for Crosby, but on the other hand, the Pittsburgh Penguins star must be itching to play.
He was limited to just 22 regular season and six playoff games in 2011-12, after all, with his last bit of NHL competition coming when his Penguins were eliminated from the 2012 playoffs on April 22.
Crosby isn’t the only prominent NHL player who received a call; The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston reports that Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich are among those who have also been approached so far.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)