Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Crosby would have played for Team Canada if he accepted the offer.
Garrioch doesn’t explain why Crosby rejected the opportunity, but one might justify his choice for the same reasons he hasn’t committed overseas yet: insurance worries and the ongoing CBA negotiations.
The 2012 Spengler Cup takes place from Dec. 26-31 in Davos, Switzerland. Along with Canada, the competition features host club Davos, Germany’s Adler Mannheim, Swizterland’s Fribourg-Gotteron, the Czech Republic’s Vitkovice Steel and Russia’s Salavat Yulaev Ufa.
Risking injury in such a small window of games probably isn’t a particularly enticing proposition for Crosby, but on the other hand, the Pittsburgh Penguins star must be itching to play.
He was limited to just 22 regular season and six playoff games in 2011-12, after all, with his last bit of NHL competition coming when his Penguins were eliminated from the 2012 playoffs on April 22.
Crosby isn’t the only prominent NHL player who received a call; The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston reports that Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich are among those who have also been approached so far.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)