Dec 13, 2012, 8:20 PM EDT
President Barack Obama urged the NHL and NHLPA to “figure it out” when Jay Leno asked about the lockout in late October, yet he was prompted to address the issue once again as 2012 winds down.
Obama gave a more extended take on the impasse during an interview with Minneapolis’ WCCO-TV on Thursday (via CBC).
“My message to owners and to players is, ‘You guys make a lot of money and you make a lot of money on the backs of fans, so do right by your fans. You can figure out how to spread out a bunch of revenue that you’re bringing in, but do right by the people who support you,”‘ Obama said. “And I shouldn’t have to be involved in a dispute between really wealthy players and even wealthier owners. They should be able to settle this themselves. And remember who it is that’s putting all that money in their pockets.”
Again, this is (at least) the second time Obama has discussed the work stoppage.
Hopefully the two sides will patch things up so his name will only come up if Washington Capitals fans need to heckle Tim Thomas again.
In case you’re bored, here’s that clip from his appearance on The Tonight Show in October:
May 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
For the first time in his career the 27-year-old is about to hit the open market.
May 30, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’ll be eligible to re-enter next month’s NHL Draft.
May 30, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He met with doctors in Buffalo on Thursday.
May 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He is currently an assistant coach in Nashville.
May 30, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Hard to blame the goalie in this one.
May 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
“I don’t know if we’re so young and dumb and don’t know any better…”
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
May 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
People like ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
May 29, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Appeared in just 33 games this season.
May 29, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
“I don’t feel any tingling or soreness.”
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
May 29, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Spent the past five seasons in the KHL.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 0
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 7
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 31
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)