Dec 13, 2012, 8:20 PM EST
President Barack Obama urged the NHL and NHLPA to “figure it out” when Jay Leno asked about the lockout in late October, yet he was prompted to address the issue once again as 2012 winds down.
Obama gave a more extended take on the impasse during an interview with Minneapolis’ WCCO-TV on Thursday (via CBC).
“My message to owners and to players is, ‘You guys make a lot of money and you make a lot of money on the backs of fans, so do right by your fans. You can figure out how to spread out a bunch of revenue that you’re bringing in, but do right by the people who support you,”‘ Obama said. “And I shouldn’t have to be involved in a dispute between really wealthy players and even wealthier owners. They should be able to settle this themselves. And remember who it is that’s putting all that money in their pockets.”
Again, this is (at least) the second time Obama has discussed the work stoppage.
Hopefully the two sides will patch things up so his name will only come up if Washington Capitals fans need to heckle Tim Thomas again.
In case you’re bored, here’s that clip from his appearance on The Tonight Show in October:
Dec 5, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
The Stars will play against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Dec 5, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
“They’re 7-0-1 in their last eight games, and now they’re a point behind us.”
Dec 5, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
Was King Henrik’s deal a good one for the Rangers?
Dec 5, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
“Absolutely,” said Mike Gillis.
Dec 5, 2013, 4:05 PM EST
“All of the other guys, I think, have better to give.”
Dec 5, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Still unclear what ails the 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
“Here we are now and it’s a chance for us to grow as a team and work on some things that need fixing and turn in a good effort,” Blues d-man Kevin Shattenkirk said.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Which led to Montreal’s game-tying goal against New Jersey.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
News and notes from the crease…
Dec 5, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Dallas Eakins sends the pair of d-men to the press box.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Detroit’s absolutely ravaged by injuries right now.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Sports legal analyst Eric Macramalla answers that question and more.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Pittsburgh hosts San Jose tonight, not coincidentally.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
Yet another question for Glen Sather to answer.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
“We’ve got one of the better goaltenders in the world here.”
Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Left the morning skate early.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Been a brutal season injury-wise.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
If it isn’t, it’s on life support.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)