Dec 13, 2012, 8:20 PM EST
President Barack Obama urged the NHL and NHLPA to “figure it out” when Jay Leno asked about the lockout in late October, yet he was prompted to address the issue once again as 2012 winds down.
Obama gave a more extended take on the impasse during an interview with Minneapolis’ WCCO-TV on Thursday (via CBC).
“My message to owners and to players is, ‘You guys make a lot of money and you make a lot of money on the backs of fans, so do right by your fans. You can figure out how to spread out a bunch of revenue that you’re bringing in, but do right by the people who support you,”‘ Obama said. “And I shouldn’t have to be involved in a dispute between really wealthy players and even wealthier owners. They should be able to settle this themselves. And remember who it is that’s putting all that money in their pockets.”
Again, this is (at least) the second time Obama has discussed the work stoppage.
Hopefully the two sides will patch things up so his name will only come up if Washington Capitals fans need to heckle Tim Thomas again.
In case you’re bored, here’s that clip from his appearance on The Tonight Show in October:
Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST
Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
That’s former minor-league player Jordan Hart.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST
Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”
Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Might get into coaching.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39