Dec 13, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
NBA owner Mark Cuban has never been a guy to stay quiet. Having gone through a lockout last year in basketball, getting asked about the NHL lockout yields some curious perspective.
Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE.com spoke with the Mavericks owner, and in Cuban’s mind it’s up to the NHL to get itself fixed right now.
“When you have all your southern franchises basically sucking wind, there’s a message there that you have to fix it,” said Cuban. “I mean, you have two different worlds; the north and the south. It’s kind of like the civil war right now going on, and it’s got to be fixed.
“So, yeah I’d cringe more as a hockey fan. I’d cringe more if they don’t fix it. Just like the last one, it’s only been like seven years right? But I even wrote a blog back then that they should have fixed it, and they didn’t.”
So wait, who does that make Ulysses S. Grant in this whole mess?
Cuban’s thoughts on supporting the weaker franchises hint towards the fight over revenue sharing, but also the fight over getting rid of back-diving contracts, the kind the rich teams can afford and the poor teams can’t.
As for how he figures negotiations are going, Cuban was blunt:
“They’re both cluster[expletives]. There’s no good way [to negotiate] because everybody thinks they have a solution in those scenarios and nobody wants to listen to the other guy’s solutions.”
Are we sure there isn’t an NHL team for him to buy?
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 57
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming