Dec 13, 2012, 9:45 AM EST
NBA owner Mark Cuban has never been a guy to stay quiet. Having gone through a lockout last year in basketball, getting asked about the NHL lockout yields some curious perspective.
Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE.com spoke with the Mavericks owner, and in Cuban’s mind it’s up to the NHL to get itself fixed right now.
“When you have all your southern franchises basically sucking wind, there’s a message there that you have to fix it,” said Cuban. “I mean, you have two different worlds; the north and the south. It’s kind of like the civil war right now going on, and it’s got to be fixed.
“So, yeah I’d cringe more as a hockey fan. I’d cringe more if they don’t fix it. Just like the last one, it’s only been like seven years right? But I even wrote a blog back then that they should have fixed it, and they didn’t.”
So wait, who does that make Ulysses S. Grant in this whole mess?
Cuban’s thoughts on supporting the weaker franchises hint towards the fight over revenue sharing, but also the fight over getting rid of back-diving contracts, the kind the rich teams can afford and the poor teams can’t.
As for how he figures negotiations are going, Cuban was blunt:
“They’re both cluster[expletives]. There’s no good way [to negotiate] because everybody thinks they have a solution in those scenarios and nobody wants to listen to the other guy’s solutions.”
Are we sure there isn’t an NHL team for him to buy?
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 10
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 33
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 27
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 40
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)