Dec 13, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
NBA owner Mark Cuban has never been a guy to stay quiet. Having gone through a lockout last year in basketball, getting asked about the NHL lockout yields some curious perspective.
Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE.com spoke with the Mavericks owner, and in Cuban’s mind it’s up to the NHL to get itself fixed right now.
“When you have all your southern franchises basically sucking wind, there’s a message there that you have to fix it,” said Cuban. “I mean, you have two different worlds; the north and the south. It’s kind of like the civil war right now going on, and it’s got to be fixed.
“So, yeah I’d cringe more as a hockey fan. I’d cringe more if they don’t fix it. Just like the last one, it’s only been like seven years right? But I even wrote a blog back then that they should have fixed it, and they didn’t.”
So wait, who does that make Ulysses S. Grant in this whole mess?
Cuban’s thoughts on supporting the weaker franchises hint towards the fight over revenue sharing, but also the fight over getting rid of back-diving contracts, the kind the rich teams can afford and the poor teams can’t.
As for how he figures negotiations are going, Cuban was blunt:
“They’re both cluster[expletives]. There’s no good way [to negotiate] because everybody thinks they have a solution in those scenarios and nobody wants to listen to the other guy’s solutions.”
Are we sure there isn’t an NHL team for him to buy?
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)