Dec 13, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
NBA owner Mark Cuban has never been a guy to stay quiet. Having gone through a lockout last year in basketball, getting asked about the NHL lockout yields some curious perspective.
Jimmy Toscano of CSNNE.com spoke with the Mavericks owner, and in Cuban’s mind it’s up to the NHL to get itself fixed right now.
“When you have all your southern franchises basically sucking wind, there’s a message there that you have to fix it,” said Cuban. “I mean, you have two different worlds; the north and the south. It’s kind of like the civil war right now going on, and it’s got to be fixed.
“So, yeah I’d cringe more as a hockey fan. I’d cringe more if they don’t fix it. Just like the last one, it’s only been like seven years right? But I even wrote a blog back then that they should have fixed it, and they didn’t.”
So wait, who does that make Ulysses S. Grant in this whole mess?
Cuban’s thoughts on supporting the weaker franchises hint towards the fight over revenue sharing, but also the fight over getting rid of back-diving contracts, the kind the rich teams can afford and the poor teams can’t.
As for how he figures negotiations are going, Cuban was blunt:
“They’re both cluster[expletives]. There’s no good way [to negotiate] because everybody thinks they have a solution in those scenarios and nobody wants to listen to the other guy’s solutions.”
Are we sure there isn’t an NHL team for him to buy?
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)