Dec 13, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Just one catch: Bernier will only play if the NHL lockout is still going.
The 2012 Spengler will be played in Davos and will feature the host club, Team Canada, Germany’s Adler Mannheim, Swizterland’s Fribourg-Gotteron, the Czech Republic’s Vitkovice Steel and Russia’s Salavat Yulaev Ufa.
Bernier, who would likely be Canada’s No. 1 netminder, has enjoyed some much-needed playing in the Bundesliga this season, appearing in 13 games with Heilbronner while posting a 2.57 goals-against average.
(To put that in perspective, he only played 16 games for the Kings during the entire 2011-12 regular season.)
The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston spoke to Hockey Canada vice president Brad Pascall, who acknowledged he’s been in contact with Bernier and a number of locked-out NHLers playing in Europe — Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich — about their availability for the Spengler.
It’s understood all are in a similar situation to Bernier, in that their decisions are contingent on the lockout.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)