Dec 13, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Just one catch: Bernier will only play if the NHL lockout is still going.
The 2012 Spengler will be played in Davos and will feature the host club, Team Canada, Germany’s Adler Mannheim, Swizterland’s Fribourg-Gotteron, the Czech Republic’s Vitkovice Steel and Russia’s Salavat Yulaev Ufa.
Bernier, who would likely be Canada’s No. 1 netminder, has enjoyed some much-needed playing in the Bundesliga this season, appearing in 13 games with Heilbronner while posting a 2.57 goals-against average.
(To put that in perspective, he only played 16 games for the Kings during the entire 2011-12 regular season.)
The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston spoke to Hockey Canada vice president Brad Pascall, who acknowledged he’s been in contact with Bernier and a number of locked-out NHLers playing in Europe — Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich — about their availability for the Spengler.
It’s understood all are in a similar situation to Bernier, in that their decisions are contingent on the lockout.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)