Dec 13, 2012, 4:54 PM EST
Just one catch: Bernier will only play if the NHL lockout is still going.
The 2012 Spengler will be played in Davos and will feature the host club, Team Canada, Germany’s Adler Mannheim, Swizterland’s Fribourg-Gotteron, the Czech Republic’s Vitkovice Steel and Russia’s Salavat Yulaev Ufa.
Bernier, who would likely be Canada’s No. 1 netminder, has enjoyed some much-needed playing in the Bundesliga this season, appearing in 13 games with Heilbronner while posting a 2.57 goals-against average.
(To put that in perspective, he only played 16 games for the Kings during the entire 2011-12 regular season.)
The Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston spoke to Hockey Canada vice president Brad Pascall, who acknowledged he’s been in contact with Bernier and a number of locked-out NHLers playing in Europe — Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich — about their availability for the Spengler.
It’s understood all are in a similar situation to Bernier, in that their decisions are contingent on the lockout.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)