Dec 13, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
Initial estimates indicated that Ryan Kesler would recover from offseason wrist and shoulder surgeries around this time, yet his agent Kurt Overhardt told Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province that he could be “several months away” from being fully healed.
“The re-evaluation was positive in that the surgeries were successful,” Overhardt said. “However, the compounding nature of both of those surgeries being on the same side of the body, it’s been very hard to properly rehab either one of the them — particularly the shoulder — because that’s obviously a big deal.
“I don’t think it’s fair to have any sort of time frame when he’s going to be 100 per cent and cleared to play. I don’t have a crystal ball and it’s certainly months away, it’s not weeks away. It’s several months away.”
Kuzma reports that the Vancouver Canucks “beg to differ” regarding that several months timeline, but either way, it appears that his progress hasn’t been as speedy as expected – even taking his urge to be careful into account.
Kesler underwent shoulder surgery on May 8 and the wrist procedure on June 27, with both happening on his left side.
The valuable center is taking precautions with his rehab after learning his lesson last season. Kesler underwent hip surgery during the 2011 offseason only to rush his return and struggle early on in 2011-12.
While his agent and team disagree about when he’ll be 100 percent, it sounds like he won’t be ready to play if the lockout ends anytime soon.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)