Dec 13, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
National Basketball Players Association president Derek Fisher knows a thing or two about work stoppages, having led his union through choppy lockout waters a year ago.
As such, he’s got some advice for the NHLPA as the NHL lockout drags on:
“The one thing I would offer is, the quickest way to resolution and getting something done is to stay together,” the Mavericks guard told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. “You don’t get anything done by becoming individuals and starting to separate. It doesn’t mean it has to take longer.
“But the most efficient way … is to really stay together, try to make sure you have one voice and one general focus in terms of how you’re trying to get things accomplished as a group.”
The 2011 NBA lockout went from Jul. 1-Dec. 8 and shared many similarities with the NHL work stoppage, including the most recent hurdle for hockey negotiations — contract length. (The NBA eventually settled on a five year max.)
What NHL fans are hoping won’t be similar, though, is the dissolving of the players’ union. On Nov. 14 of last year, the NBPA dissolved into a trade association and subsequently filed antitrust lawsuits against the NBA in California and Minnesota federal courts.
The NHL has warned against similar action from the NHLPA, with deputy commissioner Bill Daly saying that decertification would “likely lead to the end of the season.”
Fisher said that all aspects of reaching a new labor agreement is tough, but that solidarity and trust will see things through.
“It is tough, it is challenging,” Fisher said. “But at the end of the day, for the most part the people in the power positions from a players perspective, are trying to do the right things, trying to do right by what they were elected to do, and that’s to get the best deal they can get.
“If guys can trust that, most of the time things are OK.”
Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Short answer: Plenty.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 7
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 14
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 25
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)