Dec 12, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
There’s been a bright side to the lockout for Patric Hornqvist — it’s allowed him to rack up frequent flyer miles.
That trend continued on Wednesday as Swiss club Fribourg-Gotteron announced it had signed Hornqvist for the upcoming Spengler Cup.
Hornqvist, 25, has been a busy man during the work stoppage — his European adventure first began in early October when he signed with the Martigny Red Ice, a second division team in Switzerland.
After putting up solid numbers in Martigny — 7G-7A-14PTS in nine games — he left to join Allsvenskan club Djurgardens, the team he represented at both the junior and senior levels before moving to the Predators organization in 2008.
Despite the homecoming, Hornqvist was not long for Djurgardens. He signed in mid-November and left in mid-December, playing just 10 games all told.
Tax reasons played a part in his decision to leave Sweden, though it’s also likely he relished the opportunity to play for Fribourg in the Spengler — with the number of locked-out NHLers currently plying their trades in Europe, it’s become a marquee event.
Hornqvist been one of Nashville’s most consistent goalscorers over the last three years, averaging 26 per season while posting a career-high 30 in 2009-10.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)