Dec 12, 2012, 2:54 PM EST
There’s been a bright side to the lockout for Patric Hornqvist — it’s allowed him to rack up frequent flyer miles.
That trend continued on Wednesday as Swiss club Fribourg-Gotteron announced it had signed Hornqvist for the upcoming Spengler Cup.
Hornqvist, 25, has been a busy man during the work stoppage — his European adventure first began in early October when he signed with the Martigny Red Ice, a second division team in Switzerland.
After putting up solid numbers in Martigny — 7G-7A-14PTS in nine games — he left to join Allsvenskan club Djurgardens, the team he represented at both the junior and senior levels before moving to the Predators organization in 2008.
Despite the homecoming, Hornqvist was not long for Djurgardens. He signed in mid-November and left in mid-December, playing just 10 games all told.
Tax reasons played a part in his decision to leave Sweden, though it’s also likely he relished the opportunity to play for Fribourg in the Spengler — with the number of locked-out NHLers currently plying their trades in Europe, it’s become a marquee event.
Hornqvist been one of Nashville’s most consistent goalscorers over the last three years, averaging 26 per season while posting a career-high 30 in 2009-10.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers nearly run out of goalies 1
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 47
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)