Dec 12, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
As per its request, Oilers ownership is speaking in front of Edmonton city councilors today in hopes that negotiations for a new $450 million downtown arena can be restarted.
In October, the city called off talks in the wake of the Katz Group’s request for an additional $6 million annual operating subsidy.
Today, after stating the Oilers were “stunned” at the city’s decision to cease talks, Katz Group executive John Karvellas said the $6 million request has been withdrawn. Instead, he proposed that any extra tax revenue (beyond expectations) collected from the arena district be given to the club.
There also remains the matter of the $100 million shortfall that the city and the Oilers are hoping the province will provide in some form or another.
For all the scintillating details, the Edmonton Journal is covering the meeting here. It’s a bit like a City of Glendale meeting, except it’s colder outside.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games