Dec 12, 2012, 3:23 PM EDT
As per its request, Oilers ownership is speaking in front of Edmonton city councilors today in hopes that negotiations for a new $450 million downtown arena can be restarted.
In October, the city called off talks in the wake of the Katz Group’s request for an additional $6 million annual operating subsidy.
Today, after stating the Oilers were “stunned” at the city’s decision to cease talks, Katz Group executive John Karvellas said the $6 million request has been withdrawn. Instead, he proposed that any extra tax revenue (beyond expectations) collected from the arena district be given to the club.
There also remains the matter of the $100 million shortfall that the city and the Oilers are hoping the province will provide in some form or another.
For all the scintillating details, the Edmonton Journal is covering the meeting here. It’s a bit like a City of Glendale meeting, except it’s colder outside.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (86)