Dec 12, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Longtime NHL coach and GM Jacques Martin is back behind the bench…though this time, it’s not in North America.
Martin has agreed to join HC Lugano of the National League “A” — the top flight of Swiss hockey — as a coaching consultant, the Lugano website reports.
While details of his appointment are fuzzy (due to the Google translate), it sounds like Martin will join the Lugano staff to help head coach Larry Furas while assistant Patrick Fischer is away coaching Switzerland at the World Junior tournament in Ufa, Russia.
The move to Lugano will reunite Martin with a pair of ex-players: Glen Metropolit, who played for Martin in Montreal and Brett McLean, who played for him in Florida.
Martin, 60, was fired by Montreal 32 games into the 2011-12 season after taking the Habs to consecutive playoff appearances (including the Eastern Conference finals in 2010.)
He’s just one of nine NHL coaches to eclipse the 600 win plateau.
In Lugano, he’ll be joined by Dave Chambers, the former Quebec Nordiques head coach that has worked extensively in the Swiss league with Rappersil, Zurich and Langnau.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights