Dec 12, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Longtime NHL coach and GM Jacques Martin is back behind the bench…though this time, it’s not in North America.
Martin has agreed to join HC Lugano of the National League “A” — the top flight of Swiss hockey — as a coaching consultant, the Lugano website reports.
While details of his appointment are fuzzy (due to the Google translate), it sounds like Martin will join the Lugano staff to help head coach Larry Furas while assistant Patrick Fischer is away coaching Switzerland at the World Junior tournament in Ufa, Russia.
The move to Lugano will reunite Martin with a pair of ex-players: Glen Metropolit, who played for Martin in Montreal and Brett McLean, who played for him in Florida.
Martin, 60, was fired by Montreal 32 games into the 2011-12 season after taking the Habs to consecutive playoff appearances (including the Eastern Conference finals in 2010.)
He’s just one of nine NHL coaches to eclipse the 600 win plateau.
In Lugano, he’ll be joined by Dave Chambers, the former Quebec Nordiques head coach that has worked extensively in the Swiss league with Rappersil, Zurich and Langnau.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)