Dec 12, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Longtime NHL coach and GM Jacques Martin is back behind the bench…though this time, it’s not in North America.
Martin has agreed to join HC Lugano of the National League “A” — the top flight of Swiss hockey — as a coaching consultant, the Lugano website reports.
While details of his appointment are fuzzy (due to the Google translate), it sounds like Martin will join the Lugano staff to help head coach Larry Furas while assistant Patrick Fischer is away coaching Switzerland at the World Junior tournament in Ufa, Russia.
The move to Lugano will reunite Martin with a pair of ex-players: Glen Metropolit, who played for Martin in Montreal and Brett McLean, who played for him in Florida.
Martin, 60, was fired by Montreal 32 games into the 2011-12 season after taking the Habs to consecutive playoff appearances (including the Eastern Conference finals in 2010.)
He’s just one of nine NHL coaches to eclipse the 600 win plateau.
In Lugano, he’ll be joined by Dave Chambers, the former Quebec Nordiques head coach that has worked extensively in the Swiss league with Rappersil, Zurich and Langnau.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)