Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Doug MacLean is thinking about a career change — a major career change.
The former Columbus Blue Jackets president/GM/coach is reportedly considering a run for the Progressive Conservative party leadership in his hometown province of Prince Edward Island.
MacLean was first approached to enter the political realm two years ago — for a similar run at PC leadership — yet turned down the opportunity because he didn’t have adequate time to make a decision.
This time around, things are different.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Last week, on Toronto radio station Sportsnet 590 The Fan, MacLean fuelled the speculative fires by saying he’s been approached again.
“I’m going to think about it. Because it’s an honour to me. It’s a real honour to be considered. Don’t you think?”
MacLean made those comments on his national daily hockey show, after CBC suggested last week that MacLean was a darkhorse candidate to run in the next leadership convention now that current party Leader Olive Crane has resigned.
MacLean said he’ll give the vacancy some serious consideration.
“It’s something I’ll think about over the next year probably, and again, it’s kind of an ideal situation because it’s a little ways away. It’s not like the last time where I had to make a decision in actually two weeks. I just simply couldn’t do it. But it’s something to think about.”
MacLean has been working as both a TV and radio analyst since being fired from Columbus in 2007. The Blue Jackets never had a winning season under his leadership, posting a 172-258-62 record.
May 22, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
He was pretty good.
May 22, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Series tied 2-2.
May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
You be the judge.
May 22, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
An apology was issued.
May 22, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Turning into a heck of a series.
May 22, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Lots happening in this one. More highlights coming, by the way.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
Been dealing with plenty of traffic in front of him all throughout playoffs.
May 21, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Does the league take a look at this?
May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Where did this scoring come from?
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
May 21, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Logan Couture says he’s “all good.”
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners