Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EST
Doug MacLean is thinking about a career change — a major career change.
The former Columbus Blue Jackets president/GM/coach is reportedly considering a run for the Progressive Conservative party leadership in his hometown province of Prince Edward Island.
MacLean was first approached to enter the political realm two years ago — for a similar run at PC leadership — yet turned down the opportunity because he didn’t have adequate time to make a decision.
This time around, things are different.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Last week, on Toronto radio station Sportsnet 590 The Fan, MacLean fuelled the speculative fires by saying he’s been approached again.
“I’m going to think about it. Because it’s an honour to me. It’s a real honour to be considered. Don’t you think?”
MacLean made those comments on his national daily hockey show, after CBC suggested last week that MacLean was a darkhorse candidate to run in the next leadership convention now that current party Leader Olive Crane has resigned.
MacLean said he’ll give the vacancy some serious consideration.
“It’s something I’ll think about over the next year probably, and again, it’s kind of an ideal situation because it’s a little ways away. It’s not like the last time where I had to make a decision in actually two weeks. I just simply couldn’t do it. But it’s something to think about.”
MacLean has been working as both a TV and radio analyst since being fired from Columbus in 2007. The Blue Jackets never had a winning season under his leadership, posting a 172-258-62 record.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)