Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Doug MacLean is thinking about a career change — a major career change.
The former Columbus Blue Jackets president/GM/coach is reportedly considering a run for the Progressive Conservative party leadership in his hometown province of Prince Edward Island.
MacLean was first approached to enter the political realm two years ago — for a similar run at PC leadership — yet turned down the opportunity because he didn’t have adequate time to make a decision.
This time around, things are different.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Last week, on Toronto radio station Sportsnet 590 The Fan, MacLean fuelled the speculative fires by saying he’s been approached again.
“I’m going to think about it. Because it’s an honour to me. It’s a real honour to be considered. Don’t you think?”
MacLean made those comments on his national daily hockey show, after CBC suggested last week that MacLean was a darkhorse candidate to run in the next leadership convention now that current party Leader Olive Crane has resigned.
MacLean said he’ll give the vacancy some serious consideration.
“It’s something I’ll think about over the next year probably, and again, it’s kind of an ideal situation because it’s a little ways away. It’s not like the last time where I had to make a decision in actually two weeks. I just simply couldn’t do it. But it’s something to think about.”
MacLean has been working as both a TV and radio analyst since being fired from Columbus in 2007. The Blue Jackets never had a winning season under his leadership, posting a 172-258-62 record.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)