Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Doug MacLean is thinking about a career change — a major career change.
The former Columbus Blue Jackets president/GM/coach is reportedly considering a run for the Progressive Conservative party leadership in his hometown province of Prince Edward Island.
MacLean was first approached to enter the political realm two years ago — for a similar run at PC leadership — yet turned down the opportunity because he didn’t have adequate time to make a decision.
This time around, things are different.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Last week, on Toronto radio station Sportsnet 590 The Fan, MacLean fuelled the speculative fires by saying he’s been approached again.
“I’m going to think about it. Because it’s an honour to me. It’s a real honour to be considered. Don’t you think?”
MacLean made those comments on his national daily hockey show, after CBC suggested last week that MacLean was a darkhorse candidate to run in the next leadership convention now that current party Leader Olive Crane has resigned.
MacLean said he’ll give the vacancy some serious consideration.
“It’s something I’ll think about over the next year probably, and again, it’s kind of an ideal situation because it’s a little ways away. It’s not like the last time where I had to make a decision in actually two weeks. I just simply couldn’t do it. But it’s something to think about.”
MacLean has been working as both a TV and radio analyst since being fired from Columbus in 2007. The Blue Jackets never had a winning season under his leadership, posting a 172-258-62 record.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games