Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
As for the how and why, here’s a Google-translated statement from Hamburg GM Stephane Richer (aka “the other” Stephane Richer):
“Jamie has asked for a break to settle personal matters in North America. His request we have complied. Of course, he is one of our key players, but personal reasons enjoy priority for us.
“Jamie was in the jersey of the Hamburg Freezers shown outstanding performance and particularly in his first games took pressure from the other players.
“Should the lockout continue or fail the season complete, we expect Jamie back in January in Hamburg. For now, we give him now first time that he needs. “
Man, I love Google translate.
Benn leaving the German club is noteworthy as he took a huge gamble by playing overseas without an NHL contract. The restricted free agent was unable to come to terms with Dallas prior to the lockout, but still proceeded to sign with Hamburg in early October and play in 19 games (recording 20 points.)
It was a risk, but Benn’s situation unfolded in a much better fashion than that of fellow unsigned RFA Michael Del Zotto. The Rangers rearguard tweaked his back playing for Rapperswil-Jona of the Swiss league and exited the team after just nine games.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)