Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
As for the how and why, here’s a Google-translated statement from Hamburg GM Stephane Richer (aka “the other” Stephane Richer):
“Jamie has asked for a break to settle personal matters in North America. His request we have complied. Of course, he is one of our key players, but personal reasons enjoy priority for us.
“Jamie was in the jersey of the Hamburg Freezers shown outstanding performance and particularly in his first games took pressure from the other players.
“Should the lockout continue or fail the season complete, we expect Jamie back in January in Hamburg. For now, we give him now first time that he needs. “
Man, I love Google translate.
Benn leaving the German club is noteworthy as he took a huge gamble by playing overseas without an NHL contract. The restricted free agent was unable to come to terms with Dallas prior to the lockout, but still proceeded to sign with Hamburg in early October and play in 19 games (recording 20 points.)
It was a risk, but Benn’s situation unfolded in a much better fashion than that of fellow unsigned RFA Michael Del Zotto. The Rangers rearguard tweaked his back playing for Rapperswil-Jona of the Swiss league and exited the team after just nine games.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)