Dec 12, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Because we haven’t written enough about the business of sports lately, here are eight people with NHL connections that made SportsBusiness Journal’s list of “50 Most Influential People in Sports Business”:
5. Phil Anschutz (Owner) and Tim Leiweke (CEO), AEG – Among many other things, AEG owns the Los Angeles Kings. The company’s also for sale, if you’ve got a few billion dollars.
15. Gary Bettman, NHL commissioner – In case you were wondering, the three other commissioners were ranked No. 2 (Roger Goodell, NFL), No. 3 (Bud Selig, MLB), and No. 4 (David Stern, NBA).
19. Donald Fehr, NHLPA executive director – Hired to bring stability and strength to a players’ association that’s historically had little of one or the other, or both. Only one other union leader made the cut, the NFLPA’s DeMaurice Smith at No. 42 for his ongoing work in player safety as well as the collusion case against the NFL. The other two, Michael Weiner (MLBPA) and Billy Hunter (NBPA), aren’t quite so busy these days.
43. Ed Snider (Chairman) and Peter Luukko (President & COO), Comcast-Spectator – The owner of the Philadelphia Flyers and his right-hand man.
46. Bill Daly (NHL deputy commissioner) and Bob Batterman (Partner, Proskauer Rose) – Bundled together for obvious reasons. Daly you know. Batterman is the NHL’s labor counsel. You probably know him, too.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)