Dec 12, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Because we haven’t written enough about the business of sports lately, here are eight people with NHL connections that made SportsBusiness Journal’s list of “50 Most Influential People in Sports Business”:
5. Phil Anschutz (Owner) and Tim Leiweke (CEO), AEG – Among many other things, AEG owns the Los Angeles Kings. The company’s also for sale, if you’ve got a few billion dollars.
15. Gary Bettman, NHL commissioner – In case you were wondering, the three other commissioners were ranked No. 2 (Roger Goodell, NFL), No. 3 (Bud Selig, MLB), and No. 4 (David Stern, NBA).
19. Donald Fehr, NHLPA executive director – Hired to bring stability and strength to a players’ association that’s historically had little of one or the other, or both. Only one other union leader made the cut, the NFLPA’s DeMaurice Smith at No. 42 for his ongoing work in player safety as well as the collusion case against the NFL. The other two, Michael Weiner (MLBPA) and Billy Hunter (NBPA), aren’t quite so busy these days.
43. Ed Snider (Chairman) and Peter Luukko (President & COO), Comcast-Spectator – The owner of the Philadelphia Flyers and his right-hand man.
46. Bill Daly (NHL deputy commissioner) and Bob Batterman (Partner, Proskauer Rose) – Bundled together for obvious reasons. Daly you know. Batterman is the NHL’s labor counsel. You probably know him, too.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Apparently, the “Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board” with relocating their minor-league affiliates closer to home.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
The year was 1957…
Apr 18, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Unlike the last coach he had in Vancouver.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Devante Smith-Pelley will draw in.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
30-year-old vet led the league in scoring.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Usually he reserves that word for his own team.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“It wasn’t very appropriate at all.”
Apr 18, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
“It’s a good step,” he said.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Rookie goalie Frederik Andersen made 32 stops for Anaheim in Game 1.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Catch the game tonight on NBCSN at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Andrew Barroway has company in his pursuit of Charles Wang’s (pictured) Brooklyn-bound team.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Suggesting they’ll hold onto the fifth overall selection at this year’s draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
That would be the gesture right there.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
More adversity for Tampa Bay.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
“Luckily he’s married.”
Apr 18, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Plus a look at Game 2 of the Bolts-Habs and Stars-Ducks series.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
He’ll try to end the year on an up note.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
They’re not intimidated by the Penguins.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:24 AM EDT
Three games will keep your Friday night occupied.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 38
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1