Dec 11, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
On Monday, Minnesota Wild head coach Mike Yeo dropped in on a Timberwolves practice to pick the brain of head coach Rick Adelman.
Why? He wanted to learn more about running a shortened training camp — and there’s no better person to ask than Adleman, a veteran of two NBA lockouts.
Here’s more, from the Minnesota Star-Tribune:
[Yeo] chatted with Rick Adelman for about 20 minutes after practice, picking his brain on, among other topics, how to plan and prepare a team to play a condensed, lockout-shortened season.
Adelman has done it twice, most recently with last season’s 66-game sked.
Yeo will get his chance, if the NHL and its players pull their heads out and reach a new labor deal before it gets too late.
Yeo called Adelman’s advice “helpful and insightful.”
“The chance to speak to a person like that with experience and his success, it’s great for a coach like me,” Yeo said.
Last season, NBA training camps opened on Dec. 9 and the regular season started on Dec. 25.
As for the preseason, teams played two exhibition games — between Dec. 16-22 — giving coaches and players roughly two weeks to prepare for the regular season.
As mentioned above, Adleman’s gone through this twice. He was coaching the Sacramento Kings during the 1998-99 NBA season, which was limited to 50 contests (and a similarly condensed exhibition campaign.)
It’ll be interesting to see if other NHL coaches follow Yeo’s lead, because few have experience with the shortened season.
Just one active bench boss was a head coach in 1994-95 (LA’s Darryl Sutter was in Chicago) — meanwhile, the likes of Adam Oates, Dan Bylsma and Kevin Dineen were still playing during that time.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)