Dec 11, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
On Monday, Minnesota Wild head coach Mike Yeo dropped in on a Timberwolves practice to pick the brain of head coach Rick Adelman.
Why? He wanted to learn more about running a shortened training camp — and there’s no better person to ask than Adleman, a veteran of two NBA lockouts.
Here’s more, from the Minnesota Star-Tribune:
[Yeo] chatted with Rick Adelman for about 20 minutes after practice, picking his brain on, among other topics, how to plan and prepare a team to play a condensed, lockout-shortened season.
Adelman has done it twice, most recently with last season’s 66-game sked.
Yeo will get his chance, if the NHL and its players pull their heads out and reach a new labor deal before it gets too late.
Yeo called Adelman’s advice “helpful and insightful.”
“The chance to speak to a person like that with experience and his success, it’s great for a coach like me,” Yeo said.
Last season, NBA training camps opened on Dec. 9 and the regular season started on Dec. 25.
As for the preseason, teams played two exhibition games — between Dec. 16-22 — giving coaches and players roughly two weeks to prepare for the regular season.
As mentioned above, Adleman’s gone through this twice. He was coaching the Sacramento Kings during the 1998-99 NBA season, which was limited to 50 contests (and a similarly condensed exhibition campaign.)
It’ll be interesting to see if other NHL coaches follow Yeo’s lead, because few have experience with the shortened season.
Just one active bench boss was a head coach in 1994-95 (LA’s Darryl Sutter was in Chicago) — meanwhile, the likes of Adam Oates, Dan Bylsma and Kevin Dineen were still playing during that time.
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 1
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 1
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 9
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)