Owners and players tentatively set to meet again on Wednesday (Update: It’s official)

Dec 11, 2012, 9:30 AM EST

Donald Fehr AP

After last week’s labor meltdown in New York City, it was a question of when the two sides would get together again to try and hammer out a deal. Turns out that day will likely be tomorrow.

News broke late last night that the owners and players tentatively agreed to get together on Wednesday to resume negotiations. While other owners won’t likely be attending this round, the NHL has given the OK for players to sit in on talks. They’ve yet to decide where to meet, however.

The two sides did continue talking through the weekend, so seeing them getting back together so soon isn’t much of a surprise. What will be worth keeping tabs on is whether Federal mediators will join in talks, as has been rumored, and whether or not the NHL was serious about taking their offer off the table.

Update:

Meeting is definitely set for Wednesday and no owners will be in attendance, according to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. The two sites will meet in New York at an undisclosed location.

Update 2:

Meetings will NOT be held in New York.

1. bennywuh - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Yawn…… wake me if there is a season.

2. aspinaci - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hey, no hurry guys. Take your time.

3. mattyo99 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Wow, the crybabys are meeting again

4. ironmike778 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Something tells me this meeting will end the lockout. They have no intentions of cancelling the season.

• islesjb - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Common sense has told me that any one of the last 15 meetings should have ended the lockout.

Unfortunately that has not been the case.

5. jaredo10 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

This whole thing is played out already. Its either lets make a deal now or just cancel the season. Its that simple. Stop dragging it out and falsely giving us fans hope.

6. capsfan19 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I will slaughter three goats in hopes the pagan gods will sway their opinions into ending the lockout!

• ion4014 - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I would suggest sacrificing a bull to Lord Poseidon…I hear he likes hockey.

7. sportsfan69 - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Strength and honor.

8. acieu - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

A white goat sacrificed helped me once. Thor didn’t grant my wish but I ate real well the next couple of weeks.

9. chrisvegas - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

All I want for Christmas is…. Hockey! Get it done!!!!

10. nananatman - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Who cares? The best thing about hockey is jerseys, I can get one without watching a greedy moron skate around for another glutton in a the box.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM

nananananananan: I hope you understand that unless you knit your own hockey jersey, those “greedy morons” will get a share of what you pay for it.

• islesjb - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Who cares? The best part about hockey is spending money. I can mail a check directly to the NHL without watching a greedy moron skate around for another glutton in a the box.

• badintent - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

The Store Winners is blowing out Hockey jerseys for $15-$20 . It’s like the old days of Vick ‘s dog days.Stock up, it takes about 5 to make a good bonfire for ice fishing

11. whatthepuck2012 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Whatever happened to good old fashioned virgin sacrifices? Leave the poor goats alone.

• davebabychreturns - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Sacrificing virgins would probably clean up the comments section nicely..

• davebabychreturns - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Ha ha ha because we’re on the internet so we must be nerds, get it

• comeonnowguys - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I wonder… do Canadian nerds pretend to meet imaginary girlfriends in the States over summer breaks?

• davebabychreturns - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I wouldn’t know, when I was in school I spent my summers down in Washington state visiting my awesome girlfriend who was totally a model.

• whatthepuck2012 - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I wonder if this is how the NHL/PA talks fell apart, too. :D

12. acieu - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

My goat was certified to be a virgin but I like your thinking.

13. Stiller43 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Nananatman,

…theyre sweaters…

14. ducksk - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Please hockey for me for Xmas, and Gezelle Bunchem, and Shania Twain. I dig cougers. Oh yeah, and million cash, and of course world peace.

• jaredo10 - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

My perfect xmas this year would be of course hockey but also if I may point out I would love Donald Brashears new work out DVD with a bonus disk that teaches our youths the game of hockey.

• badintent - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Does it include bonus coverage of him beating up his neighbor in the condo community room ? Marty hitting him on the head gave him some bad anger management issues.

15. omniusprime - Dec 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Why bother? Seems that the two bickering sides can’t even agree on where to meet. The best thing that could happen today in that meeting is if nothing happens. Let’s hope that both sides stay recalcitrant and ensure that the season gets canceled.

As for the NHL season – Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na – Hey-ey Goodbye!!!!

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches