Dec 11, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon is a serious contender to follow in the footsteps of players like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins by being selected with the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
In the meantime, MacKinnon and Nugent-Hopkins are roommates during Team Canada’s selection camp for the upcoming 2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. That’s providing MacKinnon with an ideal opportunity to learn from someone who has recently been through a lot of the same obstacles that MacKinnon will face.
“I got the chance to talk with him and I told him to play his game,” Nugent-Hopkins said, according to the Oilers’ website. “He got here for a reason. In practice he looks great — as long as he can put the nerves aside, he’ll be great.”
Nugent-Hopkins speaks from experience. Like MacKinnon, he attempted to make Team Canada as a 17-year-old, but his nerves ultimately got the better of him and he didn’t make the squad.
Fortunately for MacKinnon, high pressure situations don’t easily phase him.
“That’s going to be big for him in his career,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “Off the ice, he doesn’t seem like a 17-year-old. On it, you can tell how much skill he has.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 1
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 2
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 26
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 23
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 33
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot