Dec 11, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon is a serious contender to follow in the footsteps of players like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins by being selected with the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
In the meantime, MacKinnon and Nugent-Hopkins are roommates during Team Canada’s selection camp for the upcoming 2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. That’s providing MacKinnon with an ideal opportunity to learn from someone who has recently been through a lot of the same obstacles that MacKinnon will face.
“I got the chance to talk with him and I told him to play his game,” Nugent-Hopkins said, according to the Oilers’ website. “He got here for a reason. In practice he looks great — as long as he can put the nerves aside, he’ll be great.”
Nugent-Hopkins speaks from experience. Like MacKinnon, he attempted to make Team Canada as a 17-year-old, but his nerves ultimately got the better of him and he didn’t make the squad.
Fortunately for MacKinnon, high pressure situations don’t easily phase him.
“That’s going to be big for him in his career,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “Off the ice, he doesn’t seem like a 17-year-old. On it, you can tell how much skill he has.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)