Dec 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
More evidence that communication (or lack thereof) may have been a factor in the breakdown of last week’s players-owners CBA negotiations:
According to Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers, who was in the room for the talks, the NHL “never, ever” said its willingness to add $100 million to the so-called “make whole” fund was tied to the NHLPA accepting 1) five-year contract limits, 2) a 10-year CBA, and 3) agreeing to various transition issues.
“It wasn’t presented to us for the transition payment/make whole, that they’re tied together to everything else,” Mayers told CSNChicago.com. “That was never, ever said in any of the meetings. So that comes as a surprise.”
On Thursday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly called the league’s proposal a “package deal” and that the union couldn’t just “cherry-pick” certain items.
Given all of the above, perhaps it’s a good thing mediators will be present when the two sides get together again tomorrow. Clearly a few things need to be clarified.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)