Dec 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
More evidence that communication (or lack thereof) may have been a factor in the breakdown of last week’s players-owners CBA negotiations:
According to Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers, who was in the room for the talks, the NHL “never, ever” said its willingness to add $100 million to the so-called “make whole” fund was tied to the NHLPA accepting 1) five-year contract limits, 2) a 10-year CBA, and 3) agreeing to various transition issues.
“It wasn’t presented to us for the transition payment/make whole, that they’re tied together to everything else,” Mayers told CSNChicago.com. “That was never, ever said in any of the meetings. So that comes as a surprise.”
On Thursday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly called the league’s proposal a “package deal” and that the union couldn’t just “cherry-pick” certain items.
Given all of the above, perhaps it’s a good thing mediators will be present when the two sides get together again tomorrow. Clearly a few things need to be clarified.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)