Dec 11, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
More evidence that communication (or lack thereof) may have been a factor in the breakdown of last week’s players-owners CBA negotiations:
According to Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers, who was in the room for the talks, the NHL “never, ever” said its willingness to add $100 million to the so-called “make whole” fund was tied to the NHLPA accepting 1) five-year contract limits, 2) a 10-year CBA, and 3) agreeing to various transition issues.
“It wasn’t presented to us for the transition payment/make whole, that they’re tied together to everything else,” Mayers told CSNChicago.com. “That was never, ever said in any of the meetings. So that comes as a surprise.”
On Thursday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly called the league’s proposal a “package deal” and that the union couldn’t just “cherry-pick” certain items.
Given all of the above, perhaps it’s a good thing mediators will be present when the two sides get together again tomorrow. Clearly a few things need to be clarified.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5