Dec 11, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
If the NHL lockout ends before the World Junior Hockey Championships wraps up on Jan. 5, Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly won’t be returning to North America from Russia.
Toronto GM Brian Burke made that clear to Hockey Canada, according to TSN.
Not that Rielly, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, was a shoe-in to make the NHL club.
More interesting would be Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the Oilers’ third leading scorer in 2011-12. If the NHL does indeed have a shortened season, it’s going to be a mad dash to the playoffs, and failing to qualify isn’t acceptable anymore in Edmonton.
And yes, we’re painting a rather optimistic picture of the NHL’s labor situation. The league has canceled games through Dec. 30.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)