Dec 11, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
If the NHL lockout ends before the World Junior Hockey Championships wraps up on Jan. 5, Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly won’t be returning to North America from Russia.
Toronto GM Brian Burke made that clear to Hockey Canada, according to TSN.
Not that Rielly, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, was a shoe-in to make the NHL club.
More interesting would be Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the Oilers’ third leading scorer in 2011-12. If the NHL does indeed have a shortened season, it’s going to be a mad dash to the playoffs, and failing to qualify isn’t acceptable anymore in Edmonton.
And yes, we’re painting a rather optimistic picture of the NHL’s labor situation. The league has canceled games through Dec. 30.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)