Dec 11, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
If the NHL lockout ends before the World Junior Hockey Championships wraps up on Jan. 5, Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly won’t be returning to North America from Russia.
Toronto GM Brian Burke made that clear to Hockey Canada, according to TSN.
Not that Rielly, the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft, was a shoe-in to make the NHL club.
More interesting would be Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the Oilers’ third leading scorer in 2011-12. If the NHL does indeed have a shortened season, it’s going to be a mad dash to the playoffs, and failing to qualify isn’t acceptable anymore in Edmonton.
And yes, we’re painting a rather optimistic picture of the NHL’s labor situation. The league has canceled games through Dec. 30.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7