Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto has parted ways with Swiss club Rapperswil-Jona, according to multiple sources.
The news is intriguing on two fronts: 1) Del Zotto is the second Ranger to leave Switzerland with an injury over the last few days — on Friday, Rick Nash left Davos and returned to New York with a groin injury.
2) Del Zotto doesn’t have an NHL contract.
The 22-year-old RFA wasn’t able to reach an extension with the Blueshirts prior to the start of the lockout, meaning he entered the work stoppage in the most precarious of positions.
It took Del Zotto nearly two months to find the right European deal — he inked with Rapperswil in early November — and the obvious concern was the possibility of getting hurt.
Thankfully for Del Zotto, the back issue isn’t believed to be serious. Larry Brooks of the New York Post classified the ailment as “mild stiffness” and it sounds as though the departure was precautionary more than anything else.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)