Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto has parted ways with Swiss club Rapperswil-Jona, according to multiple sources.
The news is intriguing on two fronts: 1) Del Zotto is the second Ranger to leave Switzerland with an injury over the last few days — on Friday, Rick Nash left Davos and returned to New York with a groin injury.
2) Del Zotto doesn’t have an NHL contract.
The 22-year-old RFA wasn’t able to reach an extension with the Blueshirts prior to the start of the lockout, meaning he entered the work stoppage in the most precarious of positions.
It took Del Zotto nearly two months to find the right European deal — he inked with Rapperswil in early November — and the obvious concern was the possibility of getting hurt.
Thankfully for Del Zotto, the back issue isn’t believed to be serious. Larry Brooks of the New York Post classified the ailment as “mild stiffness” and it sounds as though the departure was precautionary more than anything else.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)