Dec 10, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Jonathan Huberdeau got into a little bit of hot water with the QMJHL.
The Panthers prospect was suspended for four games for his part in an altercation that saw him busted for abusing officials. Funny thing about this, however, is that he may never get to serve his punishment as Scott Fisher of the Calgary Sun outlines.
You see, he just played in what may have been his final game for the St. John Sea Dogs as he’s set to take part in Team Canada’s World Junior Championships camp. It’s assumed he’ll earn a spot on the team and from there, it’s up to the NHL lockout to decide if he’ll head back to junior hockey.
Should the lockout come to an end before World Juniors is through in early January, it’s expected Huberdeau will earn a spot with the Panthers. If that happens, he won’t have any punishment to deal with. Meanwhile, he tells Fisher he’s sorry about what happened with the official.
“It was not intentional. I talked to the (linesman) after the game and he didn’t think it was my fault. But the league made a decision. That’s their job and I’m fine with that.”
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)