Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 PM EST
In an effort to help explain the differences the NHL still has with the players’ union, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly decided to do things in a different way.
As he told James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail, the two sides still have many differences to settle, especially on the three key items the league wanted addressed last week. When he was asked if a deal would’ve been close to being settled upon had the players agreed to those stipulations, he gives us a line we’re not likely to forget.
“Yes,” he wrote in an e-mail, “but they weren’t settled. … That’s like saying if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car. Since they missed on all three, it doesn’t seem like we were that close.”
There’s a more colorful way to spin that phrase and I think we’re all happy he didn’t go in that direction. Now we’re left to wonder if Daly grew up on the TV show “My Mother The Car.”
In all seriousness, the differences he’s talking about make for the league’s counter on what guys like Manny Malhotra have said recently about how they think things are going. They’re just not doing it with colorful metaphors.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)