Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
In an effort to help explain the differences the NHL still has with the players’ union, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly decided to do things in a different way.
As he told James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail, the two sides still have many differences to settle, especially on the three key items the league wanted addressed last week. When he was asked if a deal would’ve been close to being settled upon had the players agreed to those stipulations, he gives us a line we’re not likely to forget.
“Yes,” he wrote in an e-mail, “but they weren’t settled. … That’s like saying if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car. Since they missed on all three, it doesn’t seem like we were that close.”
There’s a more colorful way to spin that phrase and I think we’re all happy he didn’t go in that direction. Now we’re left to wonder if Daly grew up on the TV show “My Mother The Car.”
In all seriousness, the differences he’s talking about make for the league’s counter on what guys like Manny Malhotra have said recently about how they think things are going. They’re just not doing it with colorful metaphors.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)