Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
In an effort to help explain the differences the NHL still has with the players’ union, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly decided to do things in a different way.
As he told James Mirtle of The Globe And Mail, the two sides still have many differences to settle, especially on the three key items the league wanted addressed last week. When he was asked if a deal would’ve been close to being settled upon had the players agreed to those stipulations, he gives us a line we’re not likely to forget.
“Yes,” he wrote in an e-mail, “but they weren’t settled. … That’s like saying if my grandmother had wheels she would be a car. Since they missed on all three, it doesn’t seem like we were that close.”
There’s a more colorful way to spin that phrase and I think we’re all happy he didn’t go in that direction. Now we’re left to wonder if Daly grew up on the TV show “My Mother The Car.”
In all seriousness, the differences he’s talking about make for the league’s counter on what guys like Manny Malhotra have said recently about how they think things are going. They’re just not doing it with colorful metaphors.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)