Dec 10, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
One more year and they can buy beer.
Indeed, it was 20 years ago today that the NHL announced the addition of two teams in Miami and Anaheim. The former would be owned by Wayne Huizenga, the chairman of Blockbuster Entertainment; the latter by Walt Disney Co.
“Our company has been involved with hockey through Goofy and cartoons,” Disney CEO Michael Eisner said at the press conference. “We made a movie called ‘The Mighty Ducks.’ It did $50 million box office. That was our market research.”
It should be noted that Gary Bettman was not the NHL’s commissioner at the time. (Bettman was responsible for expansion to Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota and Columbus; he also allowed the re-location of the Winnipeg Jets to Phoenix, the Minnesota North Stars to Dallas, the Quebec Nordiques to Colorado, the Hartford Whalers to Carolina, and the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg.)
Of the two 1992 expansion teams, Anaheim has had the most on-ice success. The Ducks lost in the 2003 Stanley Cup finals before winning in 2007.
The Panthers made a surprise run to the finals in 1996 but were swept by Colorado. Otherwise they’ve missed the playoffs in 14 of their 18 seasons.
Without further ado, here’s something that actually existed:
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)