Dec 10, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
You won’t be seeing Connor McDavid in the NHL until at least 2015, but that’s not stopping him from getting paid.
Liz Mullen at Sports Business Journal reports the 15 year-old Erie Otters forward is close to landing an endorsement deal with Reebok that will see him sell everything from skates to shirts to hats and then some. Mullen notes that if McDavid does sign the deal, he’ll be the youngest player to represent Reebok and he’ll be the company’s biggest signing since 2005.
McDavid is in his first season in the OHL and is already being hailed as the “next Sidney Crosby.” Of course it’s convenient that Crosby is the big name helping to push Reebok goods already. If McDavid is able to eventually live up to the hype that’s already starting for him, the Reebok family will be the place to be for the faces of hockey.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)