Dec 9, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
For the second time in his career, Ryan Reaves is playing in the ECHL.
With the lockout threatening to eliminate the 2012-13 campaign, the Orlando Solar Bears have announced the signing of Reaves.
The move will reunite Reaves with Solar Bears head coach Drake Berehowsky, who was an assistant coach with the AHL Peoria Rivermen during Reaves’ tenure with the squad.
“Reaves is a great addition to our club,” Berehowsky said. “He brings strong leadership both on and off the ice, and the way he plays the game will set a tremendous example to the rest of our team.”
Reaves was only beginning to establish himself in the NHL when the lockout started. He was scheduled to begin his two-year, $1.2 million contract with the Blues this season. It would have been the first time in his career that he had the security of a one-way deal.
Reaves had four points and 124 penalty minutes in 60 games with the Blues last season.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)