Dec 9, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
When the player-owner meetings started on Tuesday, skepticism was quickly replaced by cautious optimism. The week still ended with disappointment, but perhaps months from now it will be seen as one of the key events that pushed the NHL and union towards a new CBA.
Even if that doesn’t prove to be the case, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review suggests that Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux, superstar Sidney Crosby, and NHL agent Pat Brisson were key players in the recent attempt to save the season.
Brisson is a longtime friend of Lemieux and represents Crosby and has reportedly kept in contact with both of them.
“We have been talking for a long time about what we can do to get the league back. Mario, myself, we could not sit back and watch without trying something,” Brisson said. “The timing had to be on our side.”
That time was around Thanksgiving when Brisson reached out to Lemieux.
“We talked, and we agreed that maybe now we should try something,” Brisson said. “What was our choice, to sit back and watch the season die?”
So Lemieux reportedly got in touch with fellow Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle and from there the Penguins reached out to other owners. Burkle also contacted NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to inform him that he and other moderate owners wanted a seat at the negotiating table.
On the other end, Crosby was supportive of the notion of a player-owner meeting and was one of the NHL’s representatives when the talks took place.
During Tuesday’s CBA discussions, Crosby and Burkle were described as the “voices of reason” by the Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Of course, it remains to be seen if we are truly closer to a deal. When the talks blew up on Thursday, Bettman said that the NHL’s recent compromises and the Make Whole proposal were off the table. The two sides also haven’t met since, although they have kept in touch.
On top of that, Crosby didn’t sound like a guy who had won anything after the talks. He recently discussed the possibility of him playing elsewhere because “this stuff is getting ridiculous.” Crosby also thinks that it will be hard to “get guys’ trust back after that.”
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Abdominal injury hits the center once again.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”
Oct 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Sophomore winger inching closer to a return.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
We debate — Buffalo or Carolina?
Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Played just 5:46 Tuesday in Calgary.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Which is important, because good defensive teams win Stanley Cups.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
For the EIHL’s Belfast Giants.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Just one point in his last five games.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Click for video proof.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
St. Louis’ health woes continue.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
“So we need to get better or things are going to change around here probably sooner rather than later.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
We should find out after tonight’s game.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s won three of its last four.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He appeared in 36 games last year.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Wild still suffering from Monday’s loss to the Rangers.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)