Dec 9, 2012, 6:51 PM EST
When the player-owner meetings started on Tuesday, skepticism was quickly replaced by cautious optimism. The week still ended with disappointment, but perhaps months from now it will be seen as one of the key events that pushed the NHL and union towards a new CBA.
Even if that doesn’t prove to be the case, Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review suggests that Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux, superstar Sidney Crosby, and NHL agent Pat Brisson were key players in the recent attempt to save the season.
Brisson is a longtime friend of Lemieux and represents Crosby and has reportedly kept in contact with both of them.
“We have been talking for a long time about what we can do to get the league back. Mario, myself, we could not sit back and watch without trying something,” Brisson said. “The timing had to be on our side.”
That time was around Thanksgiving when Brisson reached out to Lemieux.
“We talked, and we agreed that maybe now we should try something,” Brisson said. “What was our choice, to sit back and watch the season die?”
So Lemieux reportedly got in touch with fellow Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle and from there the Penguins reached out to other owners. Burkle also contacted NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to inform him that he and other moderate owners wanted a seat at the negotiating table.
On the other end, Crosby was supportive of the notion of a player-owner meeting and was one of the NHL’s representatives when the talks took place.
During Tuesday’s CBA discussions, Crosby and Burkle were described as the “voices of reason” by the Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi.
Of course, it remains to be seen if we are truly closer to a deal. When the talks blew up on Thursday, Bettman said that the NHL’s recent compromises and the Make Whole proposal were off the table. The two sides also haven’t met since, although they have kept in touch.
On top of that, Crosby didn’t sound like a guy who had won anything after the talks. He recently discussed the possibility of him playing elsewhere because “this stuff is getting ridiculous.” Crosby also thinks that it will be hard to “get guys’ trust back after that.”
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)