Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Barry Brust hasn’t played in an NHL game since 2007 with the L.A. Kings, but his recent run of hot play in the AHL has him thinking big for when the lockout ends.
Ben Kuzma of The Province spoke with the 29 year-old Abbotsford Heat netminder and new AHL shutout streak record holder to find out he’s itching for the chance to get back in the NHL.
“The way I’ve grown and the success I’ve had at AHL level, I’m ready to make the next step,” said Brust. “It’s going to take a few steps and a few bounces but I’m prepared for it.”
The issue Brust will run into being in the Calgary Flames’ system is the other two goalies he’s sharing time with in Abbotsford. Former first-round pick Leland Irving as well as upstart Danny Taylor.
Backing up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary is a tough job because it means a lot of time waiting for a chance to play, but Brust feels he’s ready for that second chance at NHL glory.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)