Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Barry Brust hasn’t played in an NHL game since 2007 with the L.A. Kings, but his recent run of hot play in the AHL has him thinking big for when the lockout ends.
Ben Kuzma of The Province spoke with the 29 year-old Abbotsford Heat netminder and new AHL shutout streak record holder to find out he’s itching for the chance to get back in the NHL.
“The way I’ve grown and the success I’ve had at AHL level, I’m ready to make the next step,” said Brust. “It’s going to take a few steps and a few bounces but I’m prepared for it.”
The issue Brust will run into being in the Calgary Flames’ system is the other two goalies he’s sharing time with in Abbotsford. Former first-round pick Leland Irving as well as upstart Danny Taylor.
Backing up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary is a tough job because it means a lot of time waiting for a chance to play, but Brust feels he’s ready for that second chance at NHL glory.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)