Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Barry Brust hasn’t played in an NHL game since 2007 with the L.A. Kings, but his recent run of hot play in the AHL has him thinking big for when the lockout ends.
Ben Kuzma of The Province spoke with the 29 year-old Abbotsford Heat netminder and new AHL shutout streak record holder to find out he’s itching for the chance to get back in the NHL.
“The way I’ve grown and the success I’ve had at AHL level, I’m ready to make the next step,” said Brust. “It’s going to take a few steps and a few bounces but I’m prepared for it.”
The issue Brust will run into being in the Calgary Flames’ system is the other two goalies he’s sharing time with in Abbotsford. Former first-round pick Leland Irving as well as upstart Danny Taylor.
Backing up Miikka Kiprusoff in Calgary is a tough job because it means a lot of time waiting for a chance to play, but Brust feels he’s ready for that second chance at NHL glory.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 21
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 24
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 24
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)