Jakob Silfverberg turning heads and earning high praise in AHL

Dec 9, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT

Comments Off on Jakob Silfverberg turning heads and earning high praise in AHL
Jakob Silfverberg Getty Images

Last season when Senators prospect Jakob Silfverberg made his debut with Ottawa, it came as a bit of a surprise. After all, he had spent most of his time in the Swedish Elite League and when he came here last season, he made his debut in the playoffs.

In the playoffs, he played on the fourth line, but his time spent in the AHL with the Binghamton Senators this season has been on the team’s top line leading the way in points. While he’s earned comparisons to Daniel Alfredsson, learning the North American game and playing on a smaller ice surface is the biggest adjustment he has to make.

“It’s a big difference to play on a North American-sized ice rink,” Silfverberg says. “I didn’t expect the difference to be as big as this. I thought I’d be able to just jump in the game and be ready to go. I’d been struggling a lot early in the season turning pucks over in the wrong places and if you do that on the North American ice you’re most likely going to get caught going in the wrong end.”

Silfverberg gives a lot of credit to his breakout this season to Binghamton coach Luke Richardson, a guy who’s earned his own compliments from the team.

“It has to do with a lot of confidence and a lot to do with the coach telling me to play how I want to play. I feel like I get a lot of confidence from the coach and I feel like I’m playing good out there now.”

Would Ottawa coach Paul MacLean approve of “playing how he wants to?” Silfverberg isn’t quite so sure of that.

“Ha! I don’t know about that,” he says with a laugh. “You still have to know when to chip the puck in or to make a play. You still have to keep the creativity you have in you. That’s what makes a team good. Every player’s got their own creativity and everyone is good at different things.”

Silfverberg’s play is earning him praise from opponents as well. Phoenix Coyotes young star defenseman and current Portland Pirates leader Oliver Ekman-Larsson speaks well of his fellow countryman.

“You always have to check your shoulder to know he’s out there,” Ekman-Larsson says. “He’s a really good player. Good shot, good skater, good hockey sense.”

Judging by what Silfverberg was able to do in their 6-1 win over Portland on Friday night, he’s got the good stuff down pat.

Latest Posts
  1. Under Pressure: Stan Bowman

Aug 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Stan Bowman AP

Heck, the ‘Hawks are still over the salary cap ceiling.

2. Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane?

Aug 31, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Getty Images

Chicago’s star forward remains under police investigation.

3. Looking to make the leap: Artemi Panarin

Aug 31, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Artemi Panarin AP

Can his KHL success translate to North America?

4. Blackhawks ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT

Jonathan Toews Getty Images

Plenty of changes in the Windy City.

5. It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT

Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six 2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six

The defending Stanley Cup champs dealt away key pieces in the offseason.

6. Cooke: ‘I have fire in my belly, I still feel I can play’

Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Matt Cooke Matt Cooke

The 36-year-old is still looking for a contract after being bought out by the Wild.

7. Poll: Will Minnesota’s power play improve this season?

Aug 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

The Wild ranked 27th overall last season with the man advantage.

8. Wild’s biggest question: Who will step up at center?

Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Mikael Granlund Mikael Granlund

Granlund scored just eight goals last season while playing between Pominville and Parise.

9. Looking to make the leap: Mike Reilly

Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional

He’s hoping to crack the Wild’s opening night roster after three seasons at the University of Minnesota.

10. Under Pressure: Devan Dubnyk

Aug 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

150831-Devan-Dubnyk Getty Images

He’ll have to prove last season was not a fluke.

11. Report: Ballard, Leopold leaning towards retirement

Aug 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Keith Ballard Keith Ballard

Both blue liners are unrestricted free agents.

12. Wild ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Zach Parise Getty Images

Can they take a step forward this season?

13. Glencross regrets taking hometown discount

Aug 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Curtis Glencross Getty Images

He’s currently an unrestricted free agent.

14. Under Pressure: Brandon Saad

Aug 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Getty Images

Columbus bet heavily on him this summer.

15. Poll: Will Columbus win its first playoff series?

Aug 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

Just making the postseason would be seen as a good season, but perhaps the Blue Jackets are in position to do more.

16. Looking to make the leap: Sonny Milano

Aug 29, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

Sonny Milano Getty Images

This will be his first full season as a pro.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches