Dec 9, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
After Thursday’s media meltdown in New York City, one that could’ve seen the NHL lockout take a turn for the worse, things are not as ugly as they seem.
Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the league and players have spoken this weekend and ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun says it’s Bill Daly and Steve Fehr doing the talking. TSN’s Darren Dreger adds to this saying both sides are pushing their leaders to get back to the table and close out a deal.
That’s the upside to that news. The downside is no meetings have been scheduled yet.
It’s hard to imagine both sides will let things escalate further to put the season in danger. As it is, the NHL still has its games canceled through the 14th and if there’s no progress made soon, we could be in for another round of cancellations soon.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)