Dec 9, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The good news is that the dramatic collapse of negotiations on Thursday probably won’t result in a lengthy period of silence, perhaps because there’s not much time left if the NHL and union want to get back to the bargaining table and save the season.
“We spoke this weekend,” NHL deputy director Bill Daly told Reuters. “Looking at setting something up for this week, but nothing scheduled yet.”
The big question is how far away they’ll be when talks resume. Before the NHLPA’s offer was rejected, union executive director Donald Fehr claimed that the two sides had reached an agreement on “dollars” issues. If that’s true, then the maximum length of contracts might be the last major sticking point.
That might not be the case though. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused Fehr of “spinning us all into an emotional frenzy” by claiming that the two sides are closer than the league feels they are. Bettman also said that the NHL has pulled their recent concessions and the Make Whole proposal off the table.
The NHL has already canceled all games through Dec. 14 and another round of cancelations seems inevitable.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)