Dec 9, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The good news is that the dramatic collapse of negotiations on Thursday probably won’t result in a lengthy period of silence, perhaps because there’s not much time left if the NHL and union want to get back to the bargaining table and save the season.
“We spoke this weekend,” NHL deputy director Bill Daly told Reuters. “Looking at setting something up for this week, but nothing scheduled yet.”
The big question is how far away they’ll be when talks resume. Before the NHLPA’s offer was rejected, union executive director Donald Fehr claimed that the two sides had reached an agreement on “dollars” issues. If that’s true, then the maximum length of contracts might be the last major sticking point.
That might not be the case though. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused Fehr of “spinning us all into an emotional frenzy” by claiming that the two sides are closer than the league feels they are. Bettman also said that the NHL has pulled their recent concessions and the Make Whole proposal off the table.
The NHL has already canceled all games through Dec. 14 and another round of cancelations seems inevitable.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)