Dec 9, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The good news is that the dramatic collapse of negotiations on Thursday probably won’t result in a lengthy period of silence, perhaps because there’s not much time left if the NHL and union want to get back to the bargaining table and save the season.
“We spoke this weekend,” NHL deputy director Bill Daly told Reuters. “Looking at setting something up for this week, but nothing scheduled yet.”
The big question is how far away they’ll be when talks resume. Before the NHLPA’s offer was rejected, union executive director Donald Fehr claimed that the two sides had reached an agreement on “dollars” issues. If that’s true, then the maximum length of contracts might be the last major sticking point.
That might not be the case though. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused Fehr of “spinning us all into an emotional frenzy” by claiming that the two sides are closer than the league feels they are. Bettman also said that the NHL has pulled their recent concessions and the Make Whole proposal off the table.
The NHL has already canceled all games through Dec. 14 and another round of cancelations seems inevitable.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)