Dec 9, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The good news is that the dramatic collapse of negotiations on Thursday probably won’t result in a lengthy period of silence, perhaps because there’s not much time left if the NHL and union want to get back to the bargaining table and save the season.
“We spoke this weekend,” NHL deputy director Bill Daly told Reuters. “Looking at setting something up for this week, but nothing scheduled yet.”
The big question is how far away they’ll be when talks resume. Before the NHLPA’s offer was rejected, union executive director Donald Fehr claimed that the two sides had reached an agreement on “dollars” issues. If that’s true, then the maximum length of contracts might be the last major sticking point.
That might not be the case though. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused Fehr of “spinning us all into an emotional frenzy” by claiming that the two sides are closer than the league feels they are. Bettman also said that the NHL has pulled their recent concessions and the Make Whole proposal off the table.
The NHL has already canceled all games through Dec. 14 and another round of cancelations seems inevitable.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)