Dec 9, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
The good news is that the dramatic collapse of negotiations on Thursday probably won’t result in a lengthy period of silence, perhaps because there’s not much time left if the NHL and union want to get back to the bargaining table and save the season.
“We spoke this weekend,” NHL deputy director Bill Daly told Reuters. “Looking at setting something up for this week, but nothing scheduled yet.”
The big question is how far away they’ll be when talks resume. Before the NHLPA’s offer was rejected, union executive director Donald Fehr claimed that the two sides had reached an agreement on “dollars” issues. If that’s true, then the maximum length of contracts might be the last major sticking point.
That might not be the case though. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman accused Fehr of “spinning us all into an emotional frenzy” by claiming that the two sides are closer than the league feels they are. Bettman also said that the NHL has pulled their recent concessions and the Make Whole proposal off the table.
The NHL has already canceled all games through Dec. 14 and another round of cancelations seems inevitable.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)