Dec 9, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Raising money for charity was a big part of Saturday’s “Rock Out the Lockout” event in Windsor, Ontario, but it didn’t stop players such as Danny Cleary from thinking about the work stoppage that inspired the name.
Cleary told MLive.com’s Ansar Khan that he’s concerned about fan apathy and anger amid all the discussions.
“I just hope they don’t vilify us,” Cleary said. “Everyone loves the game, we all love it the same.”
Fans indeed showed some love for the game – and charitable causes – as Khan estimates about 4,500 people showed up for the event.
It included 11 players from the Red Wings, yet Los Angeles Kings player Kevin Westgarth was the surprising star, scoring four goals as the White Team defeated the Black Team in a 17-11 track meet.
The best part of the evening probably came before the game, though, as the NHLPA presented a $10,000 check to SPARKLES From Above, which benefits childhood cancer patients.
That 17-11 score indicates that the defensive play and physicality would have made Jacques Lemaire’s stomach turn, but there was one hit in which Todd Bertuzzi claims he took a solid one from teammate Niklas Kronwall.
“I got Kronwalled, but I feel OK,” Bertuzzi said.
“I’m still confident we’re going to get a deal,” Horcoff said.
Sounds like a solid night in Windsor. For pictures from the event, check out the Windsor Star’s gallery.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (76)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)