Dec 9, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Raising money for charity was a big part of Saturday’s “Rock Out the Lockout” event in Windsor, Ontario, but it didn’t stop players such as Danny Cleary from thinking about the work stoppage that inspired the name.
Cleary told MLive.com’s Ansar Khan that he’s concerned about fan apathy and anger amid all the discussions.
“I just hope they don’t vilify us,” Cleary said. “Everyone loves the game, we all love it the same.”
Fans indeed showed some love for the game – and charitable causes – as Khan estimates about 4,500 people showed up for the event.
It included 11 players from the Red Wings, yet Los Angeles Kings player Kevin Westgarth was the surprising star, scoring four goals as the White Team defeated the Black Team in a 17-11 track meet.
The best part of the evening probably came before the game, though, as the NHLPA presented a $10,000 check to SPARKLES From Above, which benefits childhood cancer patients.
That 17-11 score indicates that the defensive play and physicality would have made Jacques Lemaire’s stomach turn, but there was one hit in which Todd Bertuzzi claims he took a solid one from teammate Niklas Kronwall.
“I got Kronwalled, but I feel OK,” Bertuzzi said.
“I’m still confident we’re going to get a deal,” Horcoff said.
Sounds like a solid night in Windsor. For pictures from the event, check out the Windsor Star’s gallery.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
“We were looking to upgrade, add more of a veteran presence.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:49 PM EST
“It’s just hard to get a deal done, and you see the prices are so high.”
Mar 2, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was it just a sellers’ market?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EST
He gets a no-trade clause in the first year of the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
“Devastating” news for the Calgary Flames.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent after this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
Mar 2, 2015, 3:57 PM EST
They were “adamant” about bolstering their blue line.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:44 PM EST
Second trade of the day for Boston.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Former 13th overall pick.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
Speedy winger was rumored to be a trade deadline target.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM EST
Kids. They do the darndest things.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Has only been to the playoffs once in his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
New York gets Mark Louis in the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
It’s the veteran’s third team this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Couple of minor-league forwards switch clubs.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 PM EST
Buffalo also gets a third-round pick in 2016.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)