Dec 9, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Raising money for charity was a big part of Saturday’s “Rock Out the Lockout” event in Windsor, Ontario, but it didn’t stop players such as Danny Cleary from thinking about the work stoppage that inspired the name.
Cleary told MLive.com’s Ansar Khan that he’s concerned about fan apathy and anger amid all the discussions.
“I just hope they don’t vilify us,” Cleary said. “Everyone loves the game, we all love it the same.”
Fans indeed showed some love for the game – and charitable causes – as Khan estimates about 4,500 people showed up for the event.
It included 11 players from the Red Wings, yet Los Angeles Kings player Kevin Westgarth was the surprising star, scoring four goals as the White Team defeated the Black Team in a 17-11 track meet.
The best part of the evening probably came before the game, though, as the NHLPA presented a $10,000 check to SPARKLES From Above, which benefits childhood cancer patients.
That 17-11 score indicates that the defensive play and physicality would have made Jacques Lemaire’s stomach turn, but there was one hit in which Todd Bertuzzi claims he took a solid one from teammate Niklas Kronwall.
“I got Kronwalled, but I feel OK,” Bertuzzi said.
“I’m still confident we’re going to get a deal,” Horcoff said.
Sounds like a solid night in Windsor. For pictures from the event, check out the Windsor Star’s gallery.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
Philly erased an early 2-0 deficit to earn two points.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
Carolina is now 7-1-2 in January.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:45 PM EST
Both players are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Okposo missed his first game due to an upper body injury.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
Happened during the first period tonight in Philly.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The 19-year-old underwent hip surgery in November.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST
The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 24
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)