Is the lockout going to get Ron Hainsey blacklisted by the owners?

Dec 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT

Ron Hainsey AP

Ron Hainsey‘s role with the NHLPA has been a very obvious one throughout the lockout. He’s been involved in almost all the talks and during this latest round of failed discussions, he’s been the go-to player for choice quotes.

With all that said, is his work with the union going to wind up costing him his career? Elliotte Friedman from CBC has heard rumblings that it could happen and had to ask him about it.

“Do you worry that, after your contract is completed, you’ll never play in the NHL again?”

“My wife and I have talked about it,” he said.  “If I play the way I’m capable of, everything will work out.”

The problem Hainsey has run into is that his apparent “bad cop” routine in questioning NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman in meetings as well as getting under the skin of hardliner owners Jeremy Jacobs and Murray Edwards. Friedman says the motivation to bring Jets owner Mark Chipman to the meetings last week was to not just bring a moderate but to get Hainsey to fall in line. It didn’t happen.

Hainsey’s been good to the players in helping them better understand how things are working, but perhaps his biggest “crime” is that he’s a staunch supporter of Donald Fehr. Combine that with any apparent disrespect the owners might’ve felt from him in meetings as well as Hainsey’s UFA status after this season and he may never get another contract.

1. valoisvipers - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out there Ron.
    SNL Bye Bye

2. nyrnashty - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ron Hainsey gets paid 5 million for being a bum, so he should probably keep his mouth shut. If I was an owner I would be pissed as well if that guy was talking back to me. I could understand top level players, but that guy lol! Players like him getting paid 5 million dollars is the actual problem!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Yeah, who does he think he is standing up for the players? $5 million? He’s practically a peasant……

• alexo0 - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM

So unless a guy is making ten mil a year, he’s not allowed to talk to the owners? Hainsey is being a bad guy by making sure the owners don’t try to slip anything past his fellow players? Frankly I have more respect for Hainsey after hearing he was actually standing up to Jacobs.

3. stakex - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Lets give the owners a little credit here. It doesn’t matter how much they personaly hate a player, if they think he can help them on the ice they will sign him. You think the owners like everyone they sign/re-sign? I highly doubt it. Sure they might mostly be pissy old men, but they are also professional businessmen.

With that said, I think there are some legit questions about whether Ron Hainsey actually deserves a new contract.

• danphipps01 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

At current value? God no. But he’s still NHL calibre, easily. If nothing else, the Canucks would sooner take an overpaid defenceman whose actual defense isn’t entirely mediocre over, say, the general trainwreck that is Keith Ballard.

• id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

stakex, That is exactly what Nick Kypreos and Doug Maclean said, but they were referring to Chris Campoli.

4. bills4 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I actually have this whole situation solved. All the owners that are losing money year in and year out ( at least 10 teams) will be bought out by the league. I think this will really help the Hockey Related Revenues of the league.

It’s pretty simple. There are at least 200 players that should be thankful they have jobs in the NHL. These self entitled whiners think they deserve what they get when, if it wasn’t for some else taking the chance on owning a team, they would be without a job.

5. AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

nah nah nah nah
    nah nah nah nah
    hey hey hey
    goodbye

R.I.P NHL

• zetaone - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM

CLEVER! Never seen this post on PHT before.

• AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

aww I see someone is still on their period , make her cranky !

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Blacklisted? What is he, a Communist? I highly doubt 30 owners are going to refuse to sign him because he was too vocal in these meetings. Maybe he will never be a Boston Bruin, but he’ll find work.

7. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM

valoisvipers, do you remember what my source said about this guy? He’s cancer.

• schlitzy - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

give it a rest already! quit making up ridiculous BS and then passing it off as info from some “source” that only exists in your overactive imagination!!

• valoisvipers - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I sure do and your sources as usual were as accurate as an Ivory soap bar is pure.

8. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

schlitzy, and why does it bother you?

• schlitzy - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

because it’s NOT true!!!

9. gbar22 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Reading the above comments is why fans have no place to comment on these serious issues. They think only with their emotions and love of the sport and immediately always blame the players in these negotiations. Mind you this is a lockout not a strike and the owners are behind all this. The players were happy to continue under the old agreement in which the owners lost a season to get. The players are just looking to hang on to some of their rights which as workers they deserve. If they just caved to the owners every time what do you think the owners will do next time the agreement is up? They’ll say we need the players share to be 40%! Its never ending cycle and unions are the only voice an employee has to stand up to the boss and say enough is enough but unfortunately over the past 40-50 years we’ve union busting propaganda be played out in this country to the point where people on the whole are anti-union completely and in a sense anti-themselves cause let’s face it 99% of Americans are working stiffs. Do unions demand too much at times sure but so do the bosses and eventually you meet in the middle ground that’s what negotiations are for. Granted a lot of average people have trouble when it comes to athletes making the money but you have to remember you’re dealing with a multi billion dollar enterprise with a smaller and more concentrated work force and that work force is the product they are selling and making those billions off. People forget all this and constantly yield to the rich guy because they all think thanks to the American dream that might be them someday and in reality that will never happen for 99% of us. People need to get a grip.

• therealjr - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

In NHLPA case, the union is nothing more than a requisite for collective bargaining. I don’t know what your point is about the rest of us being working stiffs, the minimum salary in the NHL is almost 600k, so you are talking about the rich and richer.

Ultimately, the players are free to decided whether or not to start their own league with the rules they seek or acquiesce to the NHL owners and cash their guaranteed contracts. We all know how it will go which is why the NHLPA is stupid for holding out like this.

• challer9 - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Whether you like it or not US and Canadian labor laws allow for the formation of a union. So when you say “Ultimately, the players are free to decided whether or not to start their own league with the rules they seek or acquiesce to the NHL owners and cash their guaranteed contracts” you are just wrong. They have option to do what you said AND do what they are doing right now, which is bargain for a better deal.

• therealjr - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

And do that they will, but at some point, there will be a true take it or leave it/season cancelled offer on the table.

• shotzongoal - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

@Gbar22 I have heard over and over “it is a lockout and it is the owners that caused the lockout.” Keep this in mind. A CBA has procedures to follow in these situations if one side or the other has a concern, a lockout or a strike. The old CBA expired. The owners were not happy with the old CBA. The players were happy to continue under the old agreement. But of course were, they were getting 57% of the revenue and could have negotiated the whole season. The owners used their option for a lockout pending the agreement to a new CBA. That’s why there was a lockout. The owners could have and maybe should have said, “we have this new agreement for you which will pay you 50% of HRR and limit you contracts. Come to training camp and we will negotiate a new CBA during the season.” What do you think the players would have done? I think they would use their option to strike. These are just options in collective bargaining. What I don’t understand and many other people wonder is why negotiation didn’t begin at the end of last season rather than the start of training camp. Good question huh?

• challer9 - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

That’s also not true. Why would the players strike instead of continuing to work under the old CBA? That makes no sense. If the owners said “we have this new agreement for you which will pay you 50% of HRR and limit you contracts. Come to training camp and we will negotiate a new CBA during the season” the players would have just declined that offer and continued negotiating. They would never give up playing under the old CBA to strik. Nonsense.

• id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The players would have threatened to go on strike or literally strike before the start of the playoffs. Why? It’s called leverage. Players have cashed in their last pay cheques by the time the playoffs begin. so, this hits the owners directly in the wallet. BTW, sources didn’t tell me this.

• shotzongoal - Dec 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

@challer9 I’m not sure what is “also not true”? I never said the players would strike instead of continuing under the old CBA. I said, “The owners were not happy with the old CBA” and that’s why there is a lockout. Of course the players would love to continue playing under the old CBA. They were collecting 57% of the revenue. Unfortunately for the players the old CBA expired in September, 2012. They had to give up playing under it’s terms and conditions.

If the NHL would have opened it doors to the players and said here’s our new deal (as I stated), come on in and get ready for the season we will figure a new agreement during the season. If the player declined, that could be considered a strike. The players would refuse to play under the new terms. I hope you understand what I was trying to say.

10. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

schlitzy, do you see the hook line sinker and bait? Of course not. It’s embedded in your throat. few here get it, and valoisvipers, blomfeld, sportsfan are some that do. Obviously you don’t.

• AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Joey, I’ve picked up on your little game here i find you to be rather amusing and , well…. sad to be honest . I hope when you look in the mirror in your little shoebox sized apartment you live in , you can have better conversations back and forth with yourself then you can with your multiple personalities you portray on here with all your log in names .

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

No, we don’t get it, we don’t understand the pathology that drives you people. You seem to derive pleasure from being disdained and unwanted by all.

• AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM

oh , speaking of having something ” embedded in your throat ” , where’s your Q boyfriend Dumbfeld bene today?

• sheckyrimshot - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

it’s not a matter of “getting it”.

like herpes. lots of people get it. but nobody really wants it.

• valoisvipers - Dec 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Joey I think we have a troll with 3 user names, Alabama, miss mud and Gen Lee are all the same pieces of crap with nothing useful to contribute.

• blomfeld - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Valoisvipers – it’s a far greater number than that friend, including Joey Dumbfeld, Ib4joey, Blomfelb, just to name a few … and I do suspect that this person is “mentally ill” which is a shame … nonetheless, the wisest course of action is to simply ignore the fool, as he’s going to ultimately destroy himself in all likelihood …

• valoisvipers - Dec 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Blomfeld, Glad you are back and posting regularly again. Yes I indeed did forget about those other trolls and wish I could forget them all. It has gotten to the point where the trolls are stalking our good friend Joey 24/7 but Joey has thick skin and a good sense of humor. Meanwhile your Kings are still the Stanley Cup Champions.

11. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

AlabamaFanRollTide, 1943mrmojorisin1971, obviously neither of you are psychologist or private investigators because you have no idea what you’re talking about. I live next to many NHL players and their practice facility. Far from a shoe box. Million dollar homes. Lol!

• AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

COOL!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You remind me of this guy.

12. isithockeyseasonyet - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

You’re missing their point which is your an insecure dbag, living near a hockey facility doesn’t give you inside access to these negotiations, nobody really cares where you live and even if you do know someone who’s close to the negotiations, you make yourself sound way too arrogant and therefore not credible.

13. starsfan11 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I think Joey gets his same sources from the same place hockey buzz eklund does, or maybe he is hockey buzz eklund

14. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

isithockeyseasonyet, how do you know I live near a practice facility? Or that I have sources near the negotiations? Or that I live in a shoebox. Writing comments prefixed by ‘my sources’ doesn’t mean i actually have sources, or maybe it does. Who cares? People’s nostrils flare up for a reason i can’t understand and they write smack. Makes for a good laugh. As if everyone who is posting here holds the absolute truth. Every year the SC champion is predicted by a myriad of journalists and only a small fraction are correct. Who d en cares? People predict market growth and are wrong. Big deal. Who cares? Chill out. This message board is not church or the high courts. It’s f en entertainment.

• east96st - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM

id4 – You’re absolutely right. Nothing but entertainment. The problem is you’re not the least bit entertaining. You’re a one trick pony and it’s not a particularly good trick. Cetainly not the least bit original. Even that would be okay if not for your insistence to absolute dominate the boards. You get a kick out of trolling. Okay. I don’t get the appeal, but different strokes for different folks. Since this is what drives you, go for it. But can you please show SOME self control and limit it to two posts per story? Hook your fish, reel him in, and move on to the next stream. And, yeah, I “get it” that merely by replying to you, I’m one of the fish.

• id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Oh. So here we are on a public message board and we want to limit comments. There are more important public entities that need to be regulated than a f en message board. Hmmm! Wall Street, insurance companies, investment banks. C’ mon. Be serious. Here’s some advice. If it bothers you so much, then stop replying to my posts with smack. Give your opinion and move one. No need for personal attacks by name calling or cursing. I’m not going anywhere. Just try it.

• valoisvipers - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM

east96st Time for a chill pill dude you are starting to sound like a troll. If you really don’t care for someone’s posting style, then pass over it. Maybe read miss mud, Alabama or Gen Lee perhaps their posts are more to your liking. Seriously if this site was void of people like Joey,Blomfeld,stakex,shotzongoal and a few others it would no longer be a site worth coming to. Unfortunately it also now seems to be attracting a lot of trolls.

• blomfeld - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Joey, Valoisviper, Sportsfan and friends … don’t worry about this idiot Mississippimudslinger … joking and teasing is one thing, however he’s now revealing himself to be a “certifiably” sick individual … I suspect that PHT will be soon compelled to remove the idiot from this website permanently …

• blomfeld - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

“Every year the SC champion is predicted by a myriad of journalists and only a small fraction are correct” …

Id4joey – As you know friend, I came here to PHT last January because I had a vision that something very “special” was going to happen this year with my beloved Los Angeles Kings … and despite the constant “scorn and ridicule” that I received here at PHT, even from fellow King’s fans, never for a “second” did I waver from my conviction ! … well, in the end something “special” sure happened, eh ? :

Anyway, with each passing day now, your NBA “template” theory is looking more and more like the probable outcome for this impasse ? I know that you don’t share my cynicism for this being a “contrived” or “premeditated” plan etc. However we have shared the same belief all along that there will be a season in the end, one way or the other … and so “good on us” for that eh ! :) Also note worthy is the fact that local Vancouver hockey media here, has also been “consistently” predicting an eventual end to this lockout and for play to resume before it’s too late. And I imagine it’s the same there in Montreal, just as it likely is right across the country ? As for our American friends and their hockey media ? Well, you do have to grant them a little slack, given that they take their cues from Canadian circles “nine times out of ten” whether they admit it or not. Personally, I’ve always taken a US hockey fan “based within 300 miles of the 49th parallel” seriously. But as you move south from there however, my respect for their knowledge and understanding of the game, tends to lessen with each passing mile. Suffice it to say, that once you get to the former Confederacy, then “all bets are off” in my books ! That’s just the way it is and there’s nothing wrong with that. As a Canadian, I will “never” have the same appreciation or understanding for college football or car racing, like perhaps someone from Mobile-Alabama or Knoxville-Tennessee ? … and I’ve no problem with that. Being the excellent King’s fan that I am, I’ll be the first to admit that 99.9% of the people in So Cal couldn’t tell you the difference between a two line pass or a two lane freeway ! Even the King’s fan base itself who actually attend games, probably numbers < 5,000 in terms of real knowledge and understanding ? But that's okay, just as long as everyone is happy and having fun together ! :)

• id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM

blomfeld, you had a premonition. That is amazing. Go Kings!

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My sources tell me you are a doucebag.

15. broadstbully33 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Joey your annoying and ur comments are worthless…. As u were all you real hockey fans

• blomfeld - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

“FLYER” BRASSIERES ON SALE NOW for only $9.99 !!!

*** buy two and get one free ! ***

• valoisvipers - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

@broadstbully33 What? Are you trying to tell me something? Is the building on fire, boy? What is it, boy? .

• kitshky - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Ummm valoisvipers…. did you just respond in the first person to broadstbully33 when he was talking to Joey?

Looks like you just busted yourself Joey, wanna stop the multiple account charade now?

16. voltron217 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Who’s Ron Hainsey?

17. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Beoadsrbully33, because this comment is worthy. As u were all you real hockey fans. WTF does this mean?

18. id4joey - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

broadstbully33, your annoying. Where did you learn English? It’s not my annoying.
    Your
    1 : of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors , agent or agents , or object or objects of an action

19. wsphloyd - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Get your FIRE BETTMAN T-SHIRTS and more at:

Time to get rid of the arrogant weasel!!!!

20. blomfeld - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

*** Get your “BETTMAN ROCKS” t-shirts now ! ***

• valoisvipers - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Blomfeld Too funny.LMAO

• windmiller4 - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM

yet another great joke by blomfeld….

21. acieu - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

The lockout won’t get him blacklisted but his mouth might.

22. cspsrbums - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I think I am going to cry

23. mrchainbluelightning - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I sure do read a lot of stupid people replying to another stupid person

Who is the larger idiot?

The idiot?
    Or The Idiots who reply to the idiot?

Food for thought
    Idiots

24. AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Dumbfeld is a hom*ose*xual that likes Liberace

25. kitshky - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Ask Ted Nolan if the owners would be petty enough to blacklist Hainsey…

26. jameslongstaffe - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

5 million dollars and zero goals… MIA last year. Well earned Ron, you’re my hero lol

27. truthhurts19 - Dec 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Standing up to greedy Jews like Bettman and Jacobs isn’t popular, but I admire him for it.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches