Dec 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Ron Hainsey‘s role with the NHLPA has been a very obvious one throughout the lockout. He’s been involved in almost all the talks and during this latest round of failed discussions, he’s been the go-to player for choice quotes.
With all that said, is his work with the union going to wind up costing him his career? Elliotte Friedman from CBC has heard rumblings that it could happen and had to ask him about it.
“Do you worry that, after your contract is completed, you’ll never play in the NHL again?”
“My wife and I have talked about it,” he said. “If I play the way I’m capable of, everything will work out.”
The problem Hainsey has run into is that his apparent “bad cop” routine in questioning NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman in meetings as well as getting under the skin of hardliner owners Jeremy Jacobs and Murray Edwards. Friedman says the motivation to bring Jets owner Mark Chipman to the meetings last week was to not just bring a moderate but to get Hainsey to fall in line. It didn’t happen.
Hainsey’s been good to the players in helping them better understand how things are working, but perhaps his biggest “crime” is that he’s a staunch supporter of Donald Fehr. Combine that with any apparent disrespect the owners might’ve felt from him in meetings as well as Hainsey’s UFA status after this season and he may never get another contract.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)