Dec 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Ron Hainsey‘s role with the NHLPA has been a very obvious one throughout the lockout. He’s been involved in almost all the talks and during this latest round of failed discussions, he’s been the go-to player for choice quotes.
With all that said, is his work with the union going to wind up costing him his career? Elliotte Friedman from CBC has heard rumblings that it could happen and had to ask him about it.
“Do you worry that, after your contract is completed, you’ll never play in the NHL again?”
“My wife and I have talked about it,” he said. “If I play the way I’m capable of, everything will work out.”
The problem Hainsey has run into is that his apparent “bad cop” routine in questioning NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman in meetings as well as getting under the skin of hardliner owners Jeremy Jacobs and Murray Edwards. Friedman says the motivation to bring Jets owner Mark Chipman to the meetings last week was to not just bring a moderate but to get Hainsey to fall in line. It didn’t happen.
Hainsey’s been good to the players in helping them better understand how things are working, but perhaps his biggest “crime” is that he’s a staunch supporter of Donald Fehr. Combine that with any apparent disrespect the owners might’ve felt from him in meetings as well as Hainsey’s UFA status after this season and he may never get another contract.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)