Dec 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Can the NHLPA’s rank-and-file members to ask for a vote on the owners’ latest offer? Of course, says Daniel Alfredsson, but he doesn’t think it would be a good idea.
“I hope it doesn’t happen because I don’t think most of the players feel there is a deal to get done for us right now,” Alfredsson said, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Alfredsson isn’t clear on the mechanics of how the purely theoretical vote would take place.
“I’m sure they would have a conference call with the board they have all the time with all the player reps and get a concensus,” said Alfredsson. “But, where we are now, I can’t see us being close to that point.”
They might not be, but Don Cherry thinks they should hold that vote, and make a secret ballot.
“If you take a show of hands you’re not going to say nay if the guy in front says yay,” Cherry argued. “Guys don’t want to look like a chicken and caving into the NHL.
“If the vote says we carry on with the fight we carry on the war. If the vote says let’s accept the offer, accept it. Majority rules I think that’s the way it should be. With a secret ballot you have nothing to lose!”
It might be a moot point because the owners took all of their recent concessions off the table on Thursday. With that in mind, there might not be anything to vote on anymore.
For now, it looks like both sides are more focused on taking a few days to cool off after Thursday’s dramatics.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)