Dec 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Can the NHLPA’s rank-and-file members to ask for a vote on the owners’ latest offer? Of course, says Daniel Alfredsson, but he doesn’t think it would be a good idea.
“I hope it doesn’t happen because I don’t think most of the players feel there is a deal to get done for us right now,” Alfredsson said, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Alfredsson isn’t clear on the mechanics of how the purely theoretical vote would take place.
“I’m sure they would have a conference call with the board they have all the time with all the player reps and get a concensus,” said Alfredsson. “But, where we are now, I can’t see us being close to that point.”
They might not be, but Don Cherry thinks they should hold that vote, and make a secret ballot.
“If you take a show of hands you’re not going to say nay if the guy in front says yay,” Cherry argued. “Guys don’t want to look like a chicken and caving into the NHL.
“If the vote says we carry on with the fight we carry on the war. If the vote says let’s accept the offer, accept it. Majority rules I think that’s the way it should be. With a secret ballot you have nothing to lose!”
It might be a moot point because the owners took all of their recent concessions off the table on Thursday. With that in mind, there might not be anything to vote on anymore.
For now, it looks like both sides are more focused on taking a few days to cool off after Thursday’s dramatics.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Two depth moves for San Jose.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
They also gave Rinat Valiev an entry-level contract.
Jul 10, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
He was a hockey operations advisor for two years after ending his playing career.
Jul 10, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Both agreed to two-way contracts after making their NHL debuts last season.
Jul 10, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
He has a window of opportunity to agree to terms with an NHL team.
Jul 10, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
It gives him a chance to prove himself.
Jul 10, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
His contract is reportedly worth up to $2.5 million with bonuses.
Jul 10, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
He’s expected to help mentor the team’s younger players.
Jul 10, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
It was a big weakness for Dallas last season, but the additions of Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky should change that.
Jul 10, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Could this be a preview of things to come in the NHL?
Jul 10, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for July 23.
Jul 10, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The contracts the Leafs gave David Clarkson and Mike Komisarek are decent evidence of that.
Jul 10, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Thus avoiding arbitration.
Jul 10, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“He is a big, strong and physical defenseman who is one of the building blocks for our team.”
Jul 10, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
“I don’t want to turn this into a personal thing or get it to that point, because it’s not like that.”
Jul 10, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
But may get traded anyway.
Jul 10, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Joins Mike Johnston’s staff in Pittsburgh.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Both good faceoff men.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
And he’ll get the chance to prove it next season with the Ducks.
Jul 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Wild, Isles center is off to EV Zug.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)