Dec 7, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
While he hasn’t officially announced his retirement from playing, Alexei Yashin seems to be moving on with a new chapter in his hockey career.
That was the word out of Russia on Friday as Yashin was hired as GM of the Russian women’s national team.
“I think for the ladies it’s a great gift for the new year,” Russian Hockey Federation president Vladislav Tretiak told IIHF.com. “Alexei is a fine man who did a lot for our country. The solution will benefit both our coaching staff and give new challenges to the General Manager.”
The Russian women are currently ranked sixth in the world by the IIHF, behind Canada, the United States, Finland, Switzerland and Sweden.
Yashin, the second overall pick at the 1992 NHL Entry Draft, scored 781 points in 850 NHL games before jumping to Russia in 2007. He’s spent the last five years playing for Lokomotiv, SKA St. Petersburg and, most recently, CSKA Moscow.
Off the ice, Yashin has maintained a long-term relationship with former supermodel Carol Alt, who used to be married to ex-New York Rangers captain Ron Greschner. (From the PHT Page Six files)
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)