Dec 7, 2012, 12:09 PM EDT
While he hasn’t officially announced his retirement from playing, Alexei Yashin seems to be moving on with a new chapter in his hockey career.
That was the word out of Russia on Friday as Yashin was hired as GM of the Russian women’s national team.
“I think for the ladies it’s a great gift for the new year,” Russian Hockey Federation president Vladislav Tretiak told IIHF.com. “Alexei is a fine man who did a lot for our country. The solution will benefit both our coaching staff and give new challenges to the General Manager.”
The Russian women are currently ranked sixth in the world by the IIHF, behind Canada, the United States, Finland, Switzerland and Sweden.
Yashin, the second overall pick at the 1992 NHL Entry Draft, scored 781 points in 850 NHL games before jumping to Russia in 2007. He’s spent the last five years playing for Lokomotiv, SKA St. Petersburg and, most recently, CSKA Moscow.
Off the ice, Yashin has maintained a long-term relationship with former supermodel Carol Alt, who used to be married to ex-New York Rangers captain Ron Greschner. (From the PHT Page Six files)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)