Dec 7, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
After the CBA talks collapsed on Thursday, Jason Chimera sounded like a someone trying to keep a level head about the process.
Chimera still thinks the two sides are close and was surprised by the NHL’s harsh reaction to the players decision not to fully concede to the owners over the remaining issues. He also believes that the league rejecting the union’s offer via voicemail was “childish” and the NHL’s decision to pull everything off the table and stop talking was “absurd.”
You can watch his full comments below:
From the owner’s perspective, they made concessions over the week under the condition that the players conceded three key areas to the league. Those points included contract lengths, which deputy commissioner Bill Daly claimed was “the hill we’ll die on” in reference to how firm the NHL is in its stance.
The NHL was waiting for the union to either accept or reject the owner’s demands on those key points and Bettman pulled the league’s recent concessions off the table when the union instead responded with a counter-offer.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)