Dec 7, 2012, 11:01 PM EST
After the CBA talks collapsed on Thursday, Jason Chimera sounded like a someone trying to keep a level head about the process.
Chimera still thinks the two sides are close and was surprised by the NHL’s harsh reaction to the players decision not to fully concede to the owners over the remaining issues. He also believes that the league rejecting the union’s offer via voicemail was “childish” and the NHL’s decision to pull everything off the table and stop talking was “absurd.”
You can watch his full comments below:
From the owner’s perspective, they made concessions over the week under the condition that the players conceded three key areas to the league. Those points included contract lengths, which deputy commissioner Bill Daly claimed was “the hill we’ll die on” in reference to how firm the NHL is in its stance.
The NHL was waiting for the union to either accept or reject the owner’s demands on those key points and Bettman pulled the league’s recent concessions off the table when the union instead responded with a counter-offer.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)