Dec 7, 2012, 3:19 PM EST
Is a non-event actually news? Whatever, there’s nothing else to write about, so here it is – even after Thursday’s fireworks, the NHL won’t be announcing the cancelation of another slate of games today (as per The Record’s Tom Gulitti.)
The lockout has already caused the schedule to be slashed through Dec. 14. Given that’s a mere week away, there will be more slashing to come. To what date is the question. (Jan. 1? Jan. 15? Aug. 1?)
Earlier this week (remember when everyone was all optimistic and stuff?), people were debating the appropriateness of a Christmas Day start. Technically we suppose that’s still possible, though it would take a serious change in momentum. Or a time machine.
Yesterday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said he had no “magic date” on which he plans to start the season – a response to those who believe the league has had this whole charade scripted from the very beginning.
“You know what my magic date was?” Bettman said. “It was Oct. 11, when we should have opened the season with a new collective bargaining agreement. And the fact of the matter is, we’ll get to a point, at that point we’ll conclude we can’t have a season with integrity, and then we’ll have to make a tough decision. I am certainly hoping that we don’t get to that place. But when we do, we’ll be there.”
Keep in mind it’s possible the league is waiting to see if the NHLPA goes the decertification route before announcing the next round of cancelations. In which case the following clip seems appropriate:
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
His Goal of the Year entry …
Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
They beat Calgary 3-2 in OT.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Mike Yeo on Minnesota: “We stunk.”
Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe not an ideal trade-off.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Blue Jackets with a rare blown third period lead.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Tough break for Z-Bad.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
He might have suffered it blocking a shot.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
It would be a sixth-rounder in 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
Phoenix is still pretty banged up, though.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
Dec 19, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Is there a lack of respect among players in the NHL?
Dec 19, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
USA versus Russia on Feb. 15 (7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN).
Dec 19, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Weather forecast is looking good.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)