Dec 7, 2012, 6:49 PM EST
After the dramatic collapse of talks on Thursday, it looks like the NHL and union will allow for a bit of a cooling off period.
The two sides will not meet over the weekend, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. However, they might still correspond.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr presented the owners with an offer on Thursday that he thought might lead to the end of this lockout. Fehr felt that, among other things, there was a complete agreement on “dollars.” However, the owners promptly rejected that offer and disagreed with the notion that the two sides were close.
Bettman accused NHLPA excecutive director Donald Fehr of “spinning us all into an emotional frenzy.” He said that the owners expected the players to give them a yes or no response to the owners demands on three key areas: five-year player contract limits, a “longer the better” CBA, and compliance issues related to transitioning to a new agreement (e.g. buyouts, cap on escrow).
As a result, they did not react favorably to the players choosing to instead present them with a new offer.
The league has pulled the concessions that they made over the past week off the table, including the Make Whole proposal in its entirety.
With that in mind, it is hard to say how much of a gap there will be to close when the two sides finally resume talks.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 30
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 52
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)