Dec 7, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
One of the juiciest anecdotes following Wednesday’s players-owners meeting was the one where Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller allegedly got into it with Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs.
Just one problem – Miller says it didn’t happen.
“I may have been passionate but there was no disrespect or calling out one owner by name,” Miller told the Buffalo news via text message. “I have a lot of respect for any owner because they are a big part of hockey.”
Miller said his response came after owners wanted to leave the meeting and “pull everything we spent a full day on.”
One of the most vocal union members throughout the work stoppage, Miller has pushed the envelope on a variety of issues thus far:
– He wanted moderate owners to speak up during labor negotiations and blasted “this monopoly 4-5 owners have had on deal making.”
– He pushed for the players’ union to decertify.
– He said missing a season would be a “blatant disregard for the sport, the fans.”
In the closing part of his text, Miller explained why and how the NHLPA made the moves it did:
“I wanted more than anything to make a deal but we are not professional negotiators. We as players didn’t have the experience or authority to make a final deal. We were trying to responsibly move this process forward as best we could.
“If anyone thinks that we did wrong by the game or by the fans then they are misinformed. We have a responsibility to about 750 players and we made moves approved by them and thinking about them.”
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39