Dec 7, 2012, 5:25 PM EDT
For a brief moment on Thursday, when NHLPA executive Donald Fehr was talking to the media, it sounded like this lockout might actually be in its final days. Then the mood went sour quickly and by the time NHL commissioner Gary Bettman started speaking, his description of “an emotional roller coaster” seemed like an understatement.
As Bettman outlined the owner’s position Thursday night, he seemed frustrated and furious over the events of the last few days. Unprecedentedly so by Bettman’s standards, according to Don Cherry.
“I have known Gary Bettman since he was named commissioner,” Cherry said. “I have never seen him so livid as he was tonight at the press conference. He was almost shaking. That was no act.”
The owners offered the players an additional $100 million in the hope that the players would concede to the NHL’s demands in three key areas: five-year player contract limits, a “longer the better” CBA, and compliance issues related to transitioning to a new agreement (e.g. buyouts, cap on escrow).
Rather than give the owners the yes or no answer they were looking for, the union attempted to make a counter-offer and the negotiations collapsed.
“There were owners who I’ll call doves who were against the hawks,” Cherry said. “The hawks said okay we’ll do it your way and the doves put an extra 100 million on the table and when the association said okay but… The doves turned into hawks themselves.
“I believe the hardliners said to the doves okay we did it your way and the association thinks we are weak.. Now we’ll do it our way.
“Looks like I will see a lot more of Marlies, Junior and Minor Midget games this year.”
Four of the six owners who came to New York City for this week’s talks issued statements following the negotiations collapse on Thursday.
“I am very disappointed and disillusioned,” Maple Leafs owner Larry Tanenbaum said. “Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it.”
It remains to be seen what the next move will be from either side, although presumably there will be another round of canceled games announced at some point.
May 22, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Series tied 2-2.
May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
You be the judge.
May 22, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
An apology was issued.
May 22, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Turning into a heck of a series.
May 22, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Lots happening in this one. More highlights coming, by the way.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
Been dealing with plenty of traffic in front of him all throughout playoffs.
May 21, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Does the league take a look at this?
May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Where did this scoring come from?
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
May 21, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Logan Couture says he’s “all good.”
May 21, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Jarmo, talking tough.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 6
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 16
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 9
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners