Dec 6, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
There was a sense of optimism about the CBA process when the players and owners met on Tuesday without NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
Unfortunately those feelings didn’t last and talks seem to have broken down again.
With the dust still settling, four of the six owners that participated in the talks earlier this week issued statements.
“I must admit that I was shocked at how things have played out over the last 48 hours,” Toronto Maple Leafs owner Larry Tanenbaum said. “The sessions on Tuesday felt cooperative with an air of goodwill. I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting.
“However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed.
“Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.
“I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it.”
Winnipeg Jets owner Mark Chipman shared in Tanenbaum’s initial optimism, but expressed regret that the two sides could ultimately not close the gap on the issues that the league feels are essential.
The key points he’s likely referring are the issues of contract length, the CBA length, and compliance issues related to transitioning to a new agreement (e.g. buyouts, cap on escrow).
“While I sense there are some members of the players’ association that understand our perspective on these issues, clearly there are many that don’t,” Chipman said.
“We came back with an aggressive commitment to pensions which we felt was well received,” Pittsburgh Penguins owner Ron Burkle said before echoing Chipman’s remarks. “We needed a response on key items that were important to us, but we were optimistic that we were down to very few issues. I believe a deal was within reach.”
“While trust was built and progress was made along the way, unfortunately, our proposal was rejected by the union’s leadership,” added Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik. “My love for the game is only superseded by my commitment to our fans and I hold out hope we can soon join with our players and return the game back to its rightful place on the ice.”
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)