Not good enough: NHL rejects latest NHLPA offer

Dec 6, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT

Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby AP

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr presented a proposal to the NHL that he thought could end the lockout. It looks like that might not be the case.

Fehr barely ended his optimistic press conference where he stated that he thought there was a complete agreement on “dollars” issues when he returned to tell the media that the NHL has determined that the union’s offer was “unacceptable.”

“It looks like this is not going to be resolved in the immediate future,” Fehr conceded.

For now it’s not clear what issues the NHL has with the proposal.

Before the NHL rejected the offer, Fehr believed that there was an agreement on the make-whole issue or, as the union is now calling it, “transition payments.” He also thought that the matter of players’ pensions might have been settled.

As far as contract lengths go, the NHLPA proposed that player deals last a maximum of eight years.

The union’s offer would have led to an eight-year CBA with a player option to opt-out after six years.

The latest CBA meeting latest roughly an hour and didn’t include NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly was present and left for internal meetings.

It’s not immediately clear what the next step will be in the ongoing CBA negotiations.

1. id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

NHL will pulling their latest offer. Not good. We’re in trouble. Daly and Bettman will announce the impasse shortly. F ck.

2. mmcneels81 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

YAY!

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

BS, never did my sources guarantee a deal. NEVER!

• mmcneels81 - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Was I talking to you, weirdo? No! Go away. I’m not in the mood to entertain you and your crap. I’m going to the nearest bar to break everything in sight.

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

mmcneels81, how do you actually talk on a message board? Have a few beers and send me the bill. You can use one of my emails; GeneralLee1175 JoeyDumbfeld@gmail.com. Don’t drink
        and drive bro.

• mgp1219 - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM

joey sucks
        blomfeld sucks
        joey sucks
        blomfeld sucks
        joey sucks blomfeld sucks joey sucks blomfeld

3. antkowiak666 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM

just CANCEL the season.i don’t want to care anymore.

4. avsfan37919 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I have officially given up on the season.

5. btlpper68 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I WANA show you something… It’s my shocked face 😱

• Joey Dumbfeld - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

LMAO

6. capsfan19 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Ha i literally need to stop reading these.

7. flyeredup - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM

But wait, idjoeys insiders guaranteed a done deal! Bye bye NHL! Cue the fat lady. I’m never coming back.

Joey Joey, wherefore art thou Joey?

• Joey Dumbfeld - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

you’ll find joey and dumbfeld dining over a bottle wine and some caviar, then perhaps a sponge bath

8. bloominoctober - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM

We’re optimistic.

Aaannddd it’s gone.

9. dbarnes79 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

R.I.P. NHL.

10. id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Players have no choice. Accept whatever the league offers you and cut your loses.

11. sportsfan69 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I’m in agreement with NHL, pull the latest offer and cancel the season.

Let the players the go without a season.

• eyeh8goodell - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

You seem to think the players would have a problem with losing the season. They’ve already proven they’re willing to sacrifice a season. And this time they’re even better prepared. The NHL picked the wrong fight this time.

12. chiefblckbear - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Everyone keeps say I’m out I’m done yet your posting here if you’re really done just leave already. If your just want to be a troll go to another forum cause it seems like that is all I ever see on here anymore.

• Joey Dumbfeld - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM

its more fun to stick around and rub it in

13. sportsfan69 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Cancel the season. Cancel the season now!!!!!!

14. somekat - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I knew this was coming. Bettman not being there today was because they didn’t want this to be “Bettman came back and progess stopped” instead of the league not thinking the deal was good enough

15. dawglb - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Any season they would have at this pint is not for the fans….. (Though they might sell it that way) It would be for both sides to make up lost money. We’d be puppets to the overloaded schedule they’d put together.. They don’t give a crap that their fans would be paying $60 a week in parking alone…. I hope it is all canceled.

16. id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Big Fehr screwed up big time my friends. BIG TIME! Info is coming in faster than I can type. My iPhone is blowing up.

• tbbolts91 - Dec 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM

hopefully in your face

17. deadrabbit79 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Goodbye everyone, i am done. Eff the NHL

18. jimw81 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Wow, we just watched the NHL season end via voicemail.

19. sportsfan69 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Fehr and Fehr have out smarted themselves.

The moderate Owners are deal with them now too.

Let the players enjoy their winters months thinking about what it could have been.

Next offer by the owners should be a retraction offer that get worse each day that this impasse goes on.

The NFLPA and NBAPA agreed to lousier offers than this one.

It’s all about greed and the lack ofmaturity by the players.

• eyeh8goodell - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Do you even know what was in the owners’ offer? Didn’t think so. STFU.

20. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

This is just so pathetic I don’t even know what to say anymore.

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It really is. An hour ago I figured there was no way a deal doesn’t get done. It only makes sense to get a deal done ASAP so they can still make some money this year…. and they were really close.

Now everything has changed in such a short period of time, and there seems to be absolutely no reason for it. I just don’t get it.

21. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

That’s it id4 just give them everything your sources and voices just proved your a nut case players don’t give anymore take your losses this year and make the owners lose as much if not more. If any players read this blog they would give in just from reading your stupid post. Just let the process run its course without your F…ing stupid comments now please go away you clown

22. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Would not give in

23. capesouth - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM

They should televise these meetings to see who says what and who is actually being non-cooperative. All this he said-he said.

24. steelturf76 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM

What do you think the chances are that the NHL cancels its games through Dec. 21, then puts the Mayans in charge of what happens to the rest?

25. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Remember the owners locked out he players to try and force there hand. Players stand Pat and play over seas F the NHL

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Stand pat players. It’s beat to lose 100% of your ince than 12. Brilliant
      Strategy.

26. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Id4 phone is blowing up with Blom.

27. broadstbully33 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

My voiced yd me this would be the outcome

28. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Everyone one keeps telling the players ro take their offer because its their last best offer they are going to get. Yet every time they meet those rich bastards change their offer a little more how about that Joey

29. stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Ok, NOW everyone can freak out…

I just don’t get it. If Fehr was being honest, and the players really did offer to meet the owners at $300m in make-whole dollars…. what the hell are they still fighting about? Bettman is talking like the players pissed in the owners coffee today or something.

I’ve been in the middle or slightly leaning in the owners direction the whole time here, but I’m pretty shocked right now. The players seem to have finally given a bunch of make a deal, and the owners just walked away. I can’t get my head around that right now, and the really scary thing is the owners taking everything they offered this week of the table. Thats not going to go over well AT ALL with the players. Think there was a bad mood and distrust between the two sides heading into this week? Could be far worse now, and the sides might have gone from really close to a deal… to not even in the same ballpark again.

I still don’t see either side wanting to throw away the $2.2 or so billion that could still be made from a 56 game seasos…. but I also don’t see how a deal gets done now.

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Actually, having watched Bettmans entire press conference (which I didn’t before, I was too pissed) I am less angry and perhaps less bummed about the whole situation. Not because I think a deal is somehow likely…. but because a deal never really was all that close.

Right now I wish Fehr would stop talking about how close the two sides are, when hes making an offer to the owners he knows they will never accept. That has to stop, because it makes everyone get excited, when he knows damn well we shouldn’t be. I mean, when the owners tell the players “We will not budge on these three things… no matter what”, and the players make an offer that doesn’t include any of them, you are not ****ing close to a deal. Yet thats what Fehr did today.

I still don’t know where we go from here, but the owners actions make a bit more sense when you listen to Bettmans press conference. Hes still a d-bag, but he did do a good job explaining why we are where we are.

*sigh* I hate both sides right now…

• claysbar - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Damned part about this is, the press can’t wait to run out and say the deal is coming, the deal is coming!! Bettman is like, crap, I pocket dialed Fehr.

30. jaredo10 - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM

its been real boys.. guess this is it. ill holla at you some of you guyes at the pro golf talk comments

31. id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Is there a deal? Proof that my contacts did not guarantee a deal. Chill.

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Get a life dude.

The only “sources” you have are the voices in your head.

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Fool I say that you are. Do you see the hook and bait? Course not because its down your throat. God you’re gullible. Of couse I have sources, but why would I use em here?

32. concoursrider - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:10 PM

It’s over Johnny! Screw them both and watch them go into oblivion!

33. cspsrbums - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

@stakex non of us get this from the start. Unless you r in that room non of us have any idea what is being said or done all we can do is let this run its course. But you can blame th owners instead of working on this with players early on they waited to last min before the season and dropped the bomb to force the players hands their is no reason they couldn’t extend the last contract played the season and figured this out .But no the locked the players out . So yes blame the owners

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Actually this has been very easy to understand until recently. The NHL loses more money then it takes in, and the owners wanted to cut the players share so thats not the case. That was fine, and I think the players showed a lot of greed fighting such an effort as hard as they did.

Whats not understandable is the sides finally seeming to agree on the dollar amount, and the owners freaking out and shutting the whole thing down because of contract lengths. That doesn’t make sense.

Also, so much info leaks out we know pretty much whats going on in the room. We don’t know word for word, but its not hard to tell.

• mpg44 - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Blame them both!!

34. kitshky - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM

If the stumbling blocks are length of the CBA, maximum contracts lengths (hill you’re going to die on!? … give me a break), and incentives … I don’t care how emotional and offended the Owners got that is ridiculous.

These are your three “absolute non-negotiable” issues, so much so that you’re willing to blow off the entire season ….and you want us to take you serious.

• stakex - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Bettman did have a point when he says in 2004 there was ONE contract that was six years or longer…. now, there are 90. It is a growing trend the owners obviously don’t want to see continue and considering the risk and cost that come with such contracts its understandable.

Now I know what you are going to say “Then gee…. just don’t give those deals”, but its not that simple since the owners that can afford to will and others will do it just to compete. There is a reason there are firm rules, even when everyone agrees something shouldn’t be allowed… because if its not against the rules and will give you an advantage, people do it.

The big question is: Why do the players need contracts longer then 5 years now, when until a couple years ago they never did?

• kitshky - Dec 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I hear ya, while I was mainly talking about Daly and Bettmans press conference last night the point stands for both sides. They’re so close that those are the only things keeping this deal from getting done … and they still can’t get their finger out of their own asses? Come on.

35. jaybird22seven - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The season has been cancelled !!!

36. sabatimus - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

37. flyeredup - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Joey, you have no sources, you are a fraud. Be gone fool!

• id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Fool I say that you are. Do you see the hook and bait? Course not because its down your throat. God you’re gullible. Of couse I have sources, but why would I use him here?

38. tfaltin - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I feel played. I am a broken fan. It’s like being led on by your high school crush only to see her fall quiet when you finally ask her out.

39. flyeredup - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Joey, you are a bigger clown than Bozo. STFU! Be gone fraud!

40. id4joey - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Listen droppyflyer, Actually, I’m more like Patch Adams. Now there’s a clown to look up to. Lighten up bro. Life is too short to get hung up on irrelevant issues. Bite the bait with all your might and enjoy life. Hockey is just a game. Don’t let the players take you down with them. Be smarter than they are.

41. kgg6 - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Time to put all my sports focus on MLS. NHL is a joke. why follow a league that’s going to lock out every few years?? buh bye!

42. claysbar - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

And you all thought I was kidding about the dental…This is just a joke anymore. I would love to say that I’m done with these morons, but I’ll be the first one calling off to make sure I’m planted in front of the TV to catch the first game.

43. 8man - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

NHL owners, what is best in life?

“To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.”

44. fortwaynekomets - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I just watched the video and Gary Bettman basically said everything BUT “the season is cancelled”. You can tell he is emotionally pissed off the players didn’t take what he offered. The NHL is NOT stupid though, look for them to continuing to “cancel” games all the way up until February, THEN they will announce it’s a wrap folks.

However, Mike Milbury is right (and he’s not often) when he said that DON’T expect hockey next fall unless it is settled before the end of this season. This could potentially go on for 2+ years. The players are getting screwed, that’s a given. BUT they will have all that taken off the table if they don’t accept the offer NOW, and the NHL has already started pulling stuff off the table… Looks like the players might have missed out on the best deal they could’ve got? yikes.

45. joeyashwi - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I have an idea. If the owners don’t want longer contracts then DON’T SIGN THEM! I know it isn’t that simple but come on man! I was firmly on the side of the players but Fehr is an idiot. There NEEDS to be contract limits in a violent sport like hockey to protect the…can’t believe I’m going to say this…owners. The only sport that doesn’t have limits is MLB and that sport is a joke. Over the hill players with 8 years remaining on 12 year contracts and teams are stuck with them. The NFL is the model of competitive balance and they have limits. Fire Fehr now! (I still hate Bettman)

46. sportsfan69 - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Do yourselves a favor and listen to Bettman’s press conference (on TSN) and you’ll understand that the NHLPA is clueless, obnoxious, greedy, delusional, and lack any passion for the game of hockey. The players are spoiled, they feel a sense of Entitlement.

I wish the NHLPA would create their own league, fronting their own money and then maybe they would understand the finances of the games.

Also, most the NHLPA have a limited level of education, which makes it very difficult for a CBA to be resolved.

If look at the players, there just young men acting like little boys.

Too many boys, as Colonel Hessner would say in the Battle of Bulge movie. Too many boys…….

• blomfeld - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Der Fehr and his boys !

47. jhunter21 - Dec 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I would just like to know there’s not going to be a season. Just cancel it, so i don’t have to be disappointed on a weekly basis. I know that it’s getting worse, and i know there probably won’t be a season, but until they’ve given the go ahead and cancelled it, I’ll always have a deep optimism that will get subtlety crushed each time they fail at doing their jobs. Im sure many fans, and i use the term fans in the strongest way possible, are feeling the same emotions eschew time they fail. It’s like Im being forced to play the lottery, and Im being thoroughly disappointed each week.

Thanks to the greedy f***ing players, and the grossly rich a**holes who pay them for robbing us of a great game. Fa**ots.

48. oldcat157 - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Yay, I’m so happy. Go Sharks!

49. omniusprime - Dec 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Ah progress! So great to see the despicable NHL going up in smoke. Looks like the NHLPA’s latest offer was sprinkled with too much “Fehry Dust”. That’s what he gets for premature ejaculation publicly of a deal before the other side has it’s say, which thankfully was NAY!

It’s looking good for a perfect NHL season, zero games. No playoffs and the LA Kings remain champions for another year.

Goodbye NHL!!!

50. ballparkprints - Dec 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

My days of buying hockey tickets and following the sport are over. Will I miss the NHL? No!!!!

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches