Dec 6, 2012, 11:28 AM EST
When Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman return to the bargaining table today in New York, the heads of the NHLPA and NHL, respectively, will face at least two major unresolved issues:
Max contract lengths: The league is reportedly refusing to budge on a five-year limit with a five percent variance on annual salary. The one exception is if players are re-signing with their current teams, in which case it would be a seven-year max. Clearly the NHL doesn’t want bidding wars for free agents to be determined by which team will offer the longest term. (Granted, there was no bidding war for Rick DiPietro, but his 15-year, $67.5 million contract with the Islanders is an extreme example of how long-term deals can go wrong.)
NHL firm stance on 5 yr term limit reflects ownership belief that long term deals on books are liability regarding franchise sales—
Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) December 06, 2012
CBA length: The NHL has proposed a 10-year agreement (with option to opt out after eight years) and tied it to $300 million (up from $211 million) in “make whole” funds. Translation: no 10-year CBA, no $300 million. It’s not clear if the players are vehemently opposed to a lengthy CBA or if it’s more they don’t like the $300 million being dependent on it.
Despite the optimism that has accompanied talks this week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports “there’s a hugely negative vibe emanating from both sides right now. Keeping this process on rails today will be challenging.”
Dec 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Was fired by the Flyers earlier this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Chicago gets Brandon Mashinter in return.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
If he’s going to re-sign with the Sabres, he wants to see “actions” from management.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
Incident saw the Boston defenseman stretchered off the ice Thursday.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Second veteran defenseman they’ve waived this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Vancouver hosts the Coyotes tonight and the Avs Sunday.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
So. Many. Injuries.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
“Felt like we could have had five,” said Joe Pavelski.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Won’t face Dallas on Saturday.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
They blew away the Avs by six goals last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Tough times for the Swiss forward.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Could be the plan.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
Captain John Tavares says they’re not earning wins, but the veteran goalie has a different theory.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
He led New York to a 3-1 victory over Buffalo.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 AM EST
No timetable for return.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EST
Patrick Roy should know how this feels.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:35 AM EST
Bottom of the Metropolitan Division.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:02 AM EST
Triumph in the face of adversity.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Bad night for Colorado.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 1
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 31
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)