Dec 6, 2012, 11:02 PM EST
On Tuesday, when the players and owners met without NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, there seemed to be a sense of optimism about the talks, at least based on Bettman’s and the owner’s recent statements.
Then the mood quickly changed and now one player seems to be blaming Fehr.
“We were ready to play again,” the player said, according to Denver Post and SI.com writer Adrian Dater. “But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out.”
Dater asserted that the source was a depth player. He further claimed that there are more like him, but the top players are still siding with Fehr.
“Bottom line here: Players say they are unified, but not what I’m hearing from this depth player,” Dater said. “They’ll deny that publicly, but privately, they are feeling powerless as the Ryan Millers and Brad Richards of the world pretend this is a sacrifice for them.”
This anonymous player’s remarks are rare, but not groundbreaking.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)