Dec 6, 2012, 11:02 PM EST
On Tuesday, when the players and owners met without NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, there seemed to be a sense of optimism about the talks, at least based on Bettman’s and the owner’s recent statements.
Then the mood quickly changed and now one player seems to be blaming Fehr.
“We were ready to play again,” the player said, according to Denver Post and SI.com writer Adrian Dater. “But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out.”
Dater asserted that the source was a depth player. He further claimed that there are more like him, but the top players are still siding with Fehr.
“Bottom line here: Players say they are unified, but not what I’m hearing from this depth player,” Dater said. “They’ll deny that publicly, but privately, they are feeling powerless as the Ryan Millers and Brad Richards of the world pretend this is a sacrifice for them.”
This anonymous player’s remarks are rare, but not groundbreaking.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)